Menu

Which level BJU science for a 4th and 2nd grader?

Quiver0f10

I was trying to look at the ages of your dc in your sig and see whether we're talking about boys or girls. The BJU4 has a lot of physics and motion stuff that would particularly appeal to a 2nd grade boy stretching to keep up with the older sibling. But if that older sibling is 10 and the younger is 6 (just looking at your sig), then that's a real stretch, kwim? At that point I might do the BJU4 with the 4th grader and let a 6 yo girl real the CLP nature books. Or combine the 6 and 4 yo's together using a book like http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=554&use_sec=false&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=25c71f7b-184a-4392-9b45-67f03b005eff We used this when my dd was that age and LOVED it. I didn't realize there were more books in print available like it!! Definitely look at them. You MIGHT even be able to combine all three of those kids (10,6,4) using WonderScience, another book you'll find at that link. I know it sounds like a stretch with the ages they list, but the method is so exploratory and fun, I think it would work.

I was trying to look at the ages of your dc in your sig and see whether we're talking about boys or girls. The BJU4 has a lot of physics and motion stuff that would particularly appeal to a 2nd grade boy stretching to keep up with the older sibling. But if that older sibling is 10 and the younger is 6 (just looking at your sig), then that's a real stretch, kwim? At that point I might do the BJU4 with the 4th grader and let a 6 yo girl real the CLP nature books. Or combine the 6 and 4 yo's together using a book like http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=554&use_sec=false&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=25c71f7b-184a-4392-9b45-67f03b005eff We used this when my dd was that age and LOVED it. I didn't realize there were more books in print available like it!! Definitely look at them. You MIGHT even be able to combine all three of those kids (10,6,4) using WonderScience, another book you'll find at that link. I know it sounds like a stretch with the ages they list, but the method is so exploratory and fun, I think it would work.

Thank you. I am looking for fall and my 10 yo DS will then be 11 in in grade 4, my DD will be 7 and in grade 2 and my youngest DS 5 will be in K. I am not worried @ the Ker as we don't really do science in K. So I am looking for something for the other two.

I will look at the link you provided. Thanks again!

Yes, I'd definitely go up, not down. The BJU4 is really good, has lots of physics concepts that will interest him, and is the first level really worth much. I think he'd be bored if you went down. You can get him Snap Circuits and lots of hands-on stuff to go with it and he'll have a great time. Timberdoodle sells 3D anatomy puzzles that go well with the chapters.

It's not the hands-on that would get your 2nd grader tagging along, it's the writing and possibly the reading. Even so, I wouldn't take your ds down to the 3rd gr book. There's just not enough content.

Yes, I'd definitely go up, not down. The BJU4 is really good, has lots of physics concepts that will interest him, and is the first level really worth much. I think he'd be bored if you went down. You can get him Snap Circuits and lots of hands-on stuff to go with it and he'll have a great time. Timberdoodle sells 3D anatomy puzzles that go well with the chapters.

It's not the hands-on that would get your 2nd grader tagging along, it's the writing and possibly the reading. Even so, I wouldn't take your ds down to the 3rd gr book. There's just not enough content.

I appreciate the info. Thanks again!