Menu

question about violin bows...

My son is saving money to buy one, and we are able to borrow a violin while he takes lessons for a year. We want to see if he is interested enough before purchasing... (He is 13, has played piano for 5 years, drums for 3) We have lessons scheduled, but I'd like to know what a reasonable, decent range is for a new bow. Also, if you could tell me names of good brands, brands to avoid, etc... Thank you in advance!

It depends on how big the instrument. If it's full size you can expect to spend at least 200, for a good bow. If the bow needs to be re-haired that can cost an additional 40.-100. dollars depending on who's doing the job. I'd look at SHAR and ask to have them send several bows in the price range you are considering.

Lots of folks gloss over this part but it's just as important as the violin.

I'd also ask the teacher to help with this process.

Good Luck!

My daughter's first (and so far only) bow has been the lowest end carbon fiber bow from Shar. Its a very good bow. Around $100. My dd is 16 and has been taking for almost 3 years. Hopefully in the next 6 months or so we'll get her a better bow, but this one has been very serviceable. Definitely better than any $30 cheapie. Here's a link. Actually, I think the price has gone up about $50 on these since we got one.

http://www.sharmusic.com/Shop-Shar/Bows/Violin/Carbon-Fiber-Violin-Bows/Presto-Audition-Carbon-Fiber-Violin-Bow---1-2-size---Black-Stick---Silver-Mounted.axd#reviews

We just bought a cello bow for $650 and a violin bow for $550. These are proportionate to the value of the instrument and playing level. In both cases, we worked through the teacher who preselected several bows and then worked with my son to select the one he liked best. We used this same process with less expensive bows earlier in his playing history. A brand new beginner might find that the teacher has a bow he can borrow. At 13, will he use a full-size instrument?

Yes, he's using a full-size violin to begin (borrowing, not necessarily choice). Wow - $600 for a bow!! I had no idea :) Thank you for the shar link... Like I said, we're looking to try this out before investing seriously - Do you think a local music store might offer something previously owned?