Menu

REWARDS Questions

Cynful

I'm currently using REWARDS Intermediate with my dyslexic ds12. We are only on Lesson 6 so far. He's doing ok with it.

I'm just wondering, if after doing Intermediate, do I need to then do Secondary with him also? It seemed like more of the same thing when I viewed the samples, but its hard to tell without seeing it. Any thoughts?

I was also going to do MegaWords with him. Should I wait until I'm finished with Intermediate or start now? Would doing MW take the place of doing Secondary too?

Thanks,

I'm currently using REWARDS Intermediate with my dyslexic ds12. We are only on Lesson 6 so far. He's doing ok with it.

I'm just wondering, if after doing Intermediate, do I need to then do Secondary with him also? It seemed like more of the same thing when I viewed the samples, but its hard to tell without seeing it. Any thoughts?

I was also going to do MegaWords with him. Should I wait until I'm finished with Intermediate or start now? Would doing MW take the place of doing Secondary too?

Thanks,

Cynthia, you'll probably start seeing an improvement around lessons 12-15. I remember my ds and I looking at each other in disbelief when he read a passage perfectly!

After doing Intermediate, we did the second half of Secondary. Not sure if it made much difference, but I didn't want to have any regrets! :lol: Another option is to try ABeCeDarian Level D.

I waited on Megawords until we were done with REWARDS; I'm not sure how people use it specifically for reading, actually. I must be missing something! We also do Spelling Through Morphographs and that has made a HUGE difference. His spelling, his vocabulary and his reading have all improved!

I'll wait before purchasing Secondary until I see how he is after Intermediate. And, I'll wait on Megawords too. I was wondering how it helped reading but figured it couldn't hurt.

I'd be interested to hear how the REWARDS plus Science goes for you. Or if anyone else here has used it???

Where would I find ABeCeDarian Level D?

I really, really appreciate the replies and help,

I'll wait before purchasing Secondary until I see how he is after Intermediate. And, I'll wait on Megawords too. I was wondering how it helped reading but figured it couldn't hurt.

I'd be interested to hear how the REWARDS plus Science goes for you. Or if anyone else here has used it???

Where would I find ABeCeDarian Level D?

I really, really appreciate the replies and help,

You're thinking the way I did. Megawords certainly won't hurt! ;)

Megawords did help ds, but it was not used as a "reading" program. It was just a combination of programs that immersed ds in the language in different ways. The following is a post I recently wrote, in which I actually experienced an "a-ha" moment while writing it.

DS13 has been reading behind grade level for years. This is his first year hs. He, too, has a terrible vocabulary because of it. I have really noticed a difference in the past month, as if the combination of programs we are using are making a difference.

First, his reading level had to increase. We used REWARDS, Blend Phonics Reader etc. and it went up a few grades.

Then, we started Spelling Through Morphographs and Megawords, Both programs have allowed him to look at words differently. I just thought he'd spell better. But, he is reading better, his vocabulary is better, and he is spelling much better. We also do copywork/dictation every day, talking about the piece and looking up difficult words in the dictionary.

I read aloud to ds a lot. Not the difficult works that many on this board do. He wouldn't understand it; therefore, he wouldn't enjoy it. And that is my goal - for him to enjoy reading.

I have read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, The Giver, The Island of the Blue Dolphins, The Westing Game, From the Mixed Up Files, Catherine Called Birdy...

We are also working on writing now, using Writeshop. Every day, we discuss and use synonyms and talk about writing more descriptively.

At this moment, ds is pouring through a Percy Jackson book. Yes, it's school time - he's been reading for 2 hours. But, I cannot tell you how wonderful it is that he cannot stop reading. This has NEVER happened before. And you know what? The only time I hear a peep out of him, is when he wants to know what a word means. Now, he finally cares.

So...after all of my rambling, here is my thought. Vocabulary comes from context. DS wouldn't have increased his vocab by just one program. It was our concentration on using words and understanding words...and liking words. I think ds is finally understanding the power of words. And, I swear, I have tears in my eyes just thinking about how far he has come.

I would have tears if mine read a book for two hours too. Actually, he can, but he doesn't even want to try. He HATES having to come ask me how to pronounce a word. He's extremely hard headed and even HATES doing the REWARDS program. It's just so frustrating trying to find the right puzzle pieces to put together the picture for him so he can do it.

I've heard of others mentioning repetitive reading. Do they mean reading the same passage or same book over and over several times? I could see that being a good thing. I just really need to make reading more enjoyable for him. I can fully understand not wanting to read alot when its so much work. I have him read for 30 minutes a day and I'm thinking of breaking that up into 2 different 20 minute sessions (these are to himself). I read tons to him during the day and he LOVES that and remembers it all.

We'll keep up with the REWARDS and I also have been doing Saxon Phonics Intervention too. I actually started with that first, but decided to try REWARDS since Saxon was moving slowly. I throw it in every few days as a spelling lesson now.

I guess I'm rambling now.... just frustrated..

Cynthia,

I understand your frustrations. You will find what works best for your son. It just takes a while to figure it out.

Repetitive readings are for fluency. Yes, it is repeating the same passage over and over again. You can do this on your own, or you can use programs like Six Minute Solution or Read Naturally (I actually have this on the Sale Board).

Best wishes. :grouphug: