Menu

Ergo , Mei Tia - sling , wrap advice for an overweight momma

I'm looking for a sling or wrap for DD to use when we go to Mardi Gras Parades.

I have a neck / arm injury so I have to be careful of the pressure I put on my neck or I will be in pain for days.

I had a Moby last year when she was itty bitty but as she got older and more wiggly, it didn't work for me.

Any advice? What do you have and like?

The Ergo is great and they have an expander belt for larger women. However, if you have a tummy there is no place for the baby! (BTDT)

When we went to China to adopt our son (26 months), I took a Maya Wrap. Mine did not have the ring but tied around my waist and then criss crossed (with wide straps) across my back and then came back around and tied under our son's bum. It would work for any size woman - from very thin to plus size. I have a bad back and never had a problem with pain.

You can use it as a front or back carrier. I actually purchased mine from a doula or I would give you a web site.

I had a maya wrap and it was comfy until my daughter got a little older, then it hurt my back very badly. When she got older, I bought an ergo and it was SUPER comfy. I also had a friend with a bad back who said the Ergo was the only one she could wear comfortably. The only drawback with the Ergo was that it is a bit more difficult to position properly if you are shorter (I'm 5'4" and it sat on my lower hips or it would have extra space and my daughter's head would be too low). Also, as far as the weight thing- I was overweight when I first had Grace and I did not think I looked very attractive in the Ergo. It wasn't enough to deter me, but it was definitely not something I considered flattering. The Ergo lasted the longest as far as the ages you could wear them.

I had also heard that the Moby wraps are nice, but I never had one. Don't they sell some that are similar at Target? Is there a shop where you can try some on?