Menu

So, I just finished my first day of "freezer cooking," aka 30-day gourmet.

I've got a question for those of you who do this:

Is this practical for scratch-cooks? Now, mind you, I don't presently have a food processor. But I've chopped so many vegetables in the last 36 hours . . . (not to mention cooking 5 pounds of dry beans yesterday so they'd be ready for today . . .)

Today I just adjusted several of our customary recipes - with all the chopping that went along with them. The recipes I've seen seem to favor cans, mixes, and pre-made dressings, etc. We don't have the money to do that - if I'm going to do this to save time, I've got to keep it on the same budget that we normally use. That means dry beans, scratch spice-mixes, scratch biscuits, no meat-centered meals, etc. Is this practicable?

Note: I'm at the end of the day now and am veerrrrry tired. I just want to know it can get better. Or that it's worth it. Or something!

Help?

Mama Anna

I don't do 30 day freezer meals. I do about 2 weeks at a time when inspiration hits. I cook from scratch. It is totally worth it to me. I usually just make things we all enjoy and freeze them. I do need to stock my freezer and soon as it is quite bare at the moment. Normally I have breaded cutlets, meatballs, and burritos in there. I use my own recipes and just double or triple up.

The prep does get easier. The more you do it the more you find ways to increase your efficiency. If you can do it with a friend, even better. You both make things and swap.

I'm a scratch-cooker as well. I read up on the process and decided it just wasn't for me. We don't eat casseroles; we eat lots of fresh stir fry, pasta, broiled chicken, soup/salad/bread etc...

Just a vote on the "other" side from one scratch-cooker to another.

ETA: Whenever we have leftover rice, chicken, beef, whatever, I ALWAYS freeze it. The rice is great for fried rice or stir fry, the leftover chicken for chicken caesar salad, etc.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I make most things from scratch and I usually just make a double batch of things that freeze well and have 1/2 for dinner and put 1/2 in the freezer. we like soups, so I have several of them in the freezer. I use leftover roasted chicken to make pot pies and freeze them. Chili's, soups, and casseroles and things like enchiladas freeze really well.

I've done several different 30-day freezing systems. We don't do a lot of mixes or cans, either. All of the prep work can be pretty tiring. For us, it makes more sense to just make what we normally eat in bigger batches and freeze in the right amounts for a meal. So, I'll double or triple something and package it in 2 or 3 freezer containers. I (finally) have a pretty good system for us, but I still wish I could keep up with it more regularly.

The best "pre-printed" freezer system that I've ever tried was the one that was connected to Flylady, Saving Dinner. I got her menu mailers for awhile, and I decided to try her freezer menus. I did the chicken and ground beef, since that's what my family eats the best. Every recipe was good, and it wasn't too hard to do. That's the one that I fall back on when I'm lacking inspiration.;) You can find them at the savingdinner.com website.

Good luck. You'll be so happy when you look into your full freezer!

Guest Dulcimeramy
I'm a scratch-cooker as well. I read up on the process and decided it just wasn't for me. We don't eat casseroles; we eat lots of fresh stir fry, pasta, broiled chicken, soup/salad/bread etc...

Just a vote on the "other" side from one scratch-cooker to another.

ETA: Whenever we have leftover rice, chicken, beef, whatever, I ALWAYS freeze it. The rice is great for fried rice or stir fry, the leftover chicken for chicken caesar salad, etc.

Thanks for posting this! I'm another scratch-cooker, because of our celiac disease and financial situation, and I also rejected the OAMC thing. I was sorry to reject it, because I sure do need some shortcuts!

It never occurred to me to freeze from-scratch components, like cooked meat and rice. We don't have leftover anything with 4 boys, but I could easily cook more meat, etc. to freeze.

Thanks for your replies!

We've been doing the "must make enough for leftovers" thing for years, now. It's what keeps me sane when I've got to put a meal on the table at my worst time of the day with dh gone to work. I've been hoping that the freezer meal thing would give me the ability to keep from freaking out when homeschooling takes extra long in the morning and lunch needs to happen NOW.

We'll see how it goes!

Thanks again!

Mama Anna