Menu

Is MFW a complete phonics/reading program? And other questions

Angel in FL

I'm back to thinking about this for my dd for Kindergarten and beyond. I do have some questions.

1 - Is the phonics/reading complete or do I need to add other things?

2 - Is it a nice mix of hands-on and reading/writing or is it overly one way or the other?

3 - Are most activities done with household items or do you have to purchase a lot of additional items?

4 - Are most of the books you need found at the library or do you have to purchase? Are there other options in case you can't find your first choice?

5 - The K program tells you to introduce a subject with an article from an encyclopedia. Does that work or have you found other ways? Does the encyclopedia hold your child's attention?

1 - Is the phonics/reading complete or do I need to add other things?

It is complete.

2 - Is it a nice mix of hands-on and reading/writing or is it overly one way or the other?

Nice mix - tracing the lauri letters for practice before writing, using them on a sheet to sound out words before writing them, etc.

3 - Are most activities done with household items or do you have to purchase a lot of additional items?

Most of it was with household items, if I remember right. We would have skipped anything that required an extra trip to town.

4 - Are most of the books you need found at the library or do you have to purchase? Are there other options in case you can't find your first choice?

I found most of the books at the library, but I did purchase some of them because they are so great. There are several options if the first choice isn't available.

5 - The K program tells you to introduce a subject with an article from an encyclopedia. Does that work or have you found other ways? Does the encyclopedia hold your child's attention?

I rarely used the encyclopedia to introduce the topic. We have a set, but we have many other better books that I could find something to use instead. Or we would just talk about it and be done.

I'm going through a modified MFW K for the 2nd time this year with my 5yo.