Menu

English Schedule

meme

Hi

I am new to this forum. I need some help with scheduling our English lessons. My dd is seven, starting Grade 2. Her reading and spelling is very good. These are the books I intend using;

Spectrum Reading Grade 2 and 3 ( we r half way done with Grade 2)- this contains short stories and comprehension q's

Spectrum Spelling Grade 3

Spectrum Phonics and word Study Grade 4

Spectrum Vocab Grade 3

Spectrum Writing Grade 2

Read Alouds

I am just a bit puzzled on how to fit them all into our schedule. Which ones should we be doing everyday? Is there anything else I'm forgetting- or is it all too much? Besides these we will be doing the following too;

Right Start Maths-everday

Religous Study -everyday

Geography/Science -every alternative day

Second Language- everyday ( only basic vocab at the moment)

Handwriting -everyday

Thanks

Hi

I am new to this forum. I need some help with scheduling our English lessons. My dd is seven, starting Grade 2. Her reading and spelling is very good. These are the books I intend using;

Spectrum Reading Grade 2 and 3 ( we r half way done with Grade 2)- this contains short stories and comprehension q's

Spectrum Spelling Grade 3

Spectrum Phonics and word Study Grade 4

Spectrum Vocab Grade 3

Spectrum Writing Grade 2

Read Alouds

I am just a bit puzzled on how to fit them all into our schedule. Which ones should we be doing everyday? Is there anything else I'm forgetting- or is it all too much? Besides these we will be doing the following too;

Right Start Maths-everday

Religous Study -everyday

Geography/Science -every alternative day

Second Language- everyday ( only basic vocab at the moment)

Handwriting -everyday

Thanks

Here are my thoughts, but after a while you'll have your own way of doing things.

1. Phonics is usually done until it is mastered, and then it is replaced by spelling. I wouldn't do both.

2. My good speller didn't need spelling lessons at all until he was in about 7th grade. I did a pre- and post-test yearly, and he had standardized testing (required in our state), and he was always spelling far enough ahead that teaching spelling at his level would have been teaching words that he didn't use or remember.

3. I don't do comprehension questions in my homeschool. I feel they were created for group schools where teachers weren't sure if kids had read the book. They can sometimes help check whether a child really understood a point or noticed an interesting fact, but conversation can do that better.

4. Vocab is something I have complicated opinions on, but make sure your child is really getting something out of it or else skip it (or do it on Fridays).

5. Spend as much time as you can on read-alouds and writing/composition skills (even if they are not done with a pencil). These are things that can't be done independently, in my opinion.

6. Schedule independent reading as a solid, regular part of every day, but it doesn't have to be a huge part of your school day.

Just chiming in with some thoughts to start the conversation.

Julie

:iagree:

How much does your daughter like workbooks? The spectrum books are intended for a supplement-at-home market for public schoolers, not so much as a homeschool language arts curriculum. We've used one once and it was okay, but I can't imagine dealing in five quite similar workbooks.

There are two things I'd think about:

First: What are your needs as her teacher? That is... how confident are you in your ability to teach her English? If you don't feel up to it, you might consider starting off with an all-in-one kind of curriculum rather than piecing together the different parts of what 'language arts' involve.

Second: What are her needs as a learner and where do you hope she'll be by the end of the year. For example... Is she a fluent reader? Does she have good handwriting? Does she struggle with spelling? Is it important to you than she understands how to talk about language and how English works?

Once you've considered these, look through the forums to find curriculum that fit both you and her.