Menu

s/o Speaking of taking CC courses during high schooling...

SW in IL

I'd really like to sign DS up for a couple of classes at our community college but they say that we have to "prove" that DS is a junior in high school. How would we go about proving it?

They say that they need the transcript from his (presumably public) high school and when I mentioned we were homeschooling, the lady said she just didn't know.

DS is 15 and is doing some junior high level and some high school level work (and is looking forward to an Introduction to Computers course I'm trying to pull together using the same textbook as this community college uses). I consider this to be his "pre-freshman" year and figure it will take 5 years for him to complete homeschool high school. I'd really like to sign him up for CC classes maybe starting his sophomore year (he'll be 17 then) and have him do dual enrollment for the last 3 years of high school but I'm not sure that's within the realm of possibilities at our local CC.

Anyone else run into a similar situation?

Thanks,

Sue

Though it sounds like he's quite a bit older than a "typical" high school student, he's really not. His birthday is in September so he actually would be a freshman this year had he started Kindergarten the first year he would have been eligible (the cut off in the state we lived at the time was June 1st, so he really missed it by a mile!).

Sue

I would guess there are some other homeschoolers taking cc classes and that there is someone at the cc who knows. Did you talk directly to the person in charge of dual-enrollment ? I would bet she/he knows. If not, ask other homeschoolers in your area. My guess is that you'd need to simply show a transcript from your homeschool. If you're trying to get around the "has to be a junior," that's a different question and there may not be a way around it. Space limitations may force the cc system to make choices and that may be the limit that is fairest to everyone.

It's hard to believe the CC has no policy for this. You really need to find someone else in your situation or look to home school support groups in your area/ state to find out what has been required of other home schoolers attending CC.

Also, it occurs to me if you spoke to a secretary/receptionist you need to go higher up the food chain... dean of academics? Make an appointment and go in person with your transcripts.

Good luck!

Mary

I agree, go "higher up" to find out the school's official policy. Here, it's the counseling dept.

Officially, students must be 16; younger than that, they are automatically denied, then meet w/the dean of counseling, who has approved both my kids at age 14 & 15. No biggie, it's just the official way it's done.

Our CCs also accept "homemade" homeschool transcripts, no problem.

I would visit in person and just ask to speak to someone about dual enrollment. I would type up a simple transcript and bring it along with me.

Our community college also has the "must be a Junior in high school" disclaimer, but that's predominantly meant for public schooled dual enrollment students. For homeschoolers, as long as they can pass the placement tests, they're in. They've had students as young as 10 and 12 take classes there.

My oldest took her placement tests when she was 15 and took her first class at 16.

We need to show a birth certificate. Gov't funding is only provided for students over the age of 16. Ds#1 has been accepted into a full-time course at the local polytech (like community college), but needs to wait until April to begin as he doesn't turn 16 until April 2. He'll have a term's work to make up, but the gov't gives the school no leeway on entrance ages. :glare: Another tertiary program wanted ds#1 to begin on Jan. 16, but again they were unable to get funding for him due to his age & when I tried to switch his homeschooling exemption to an early leaving (age 15) exemption, so that he could start in January, the Ministry of Education would not even consider it. He'll study at home for the first term (10 weeks), then begin one of the two tertiary programs in which he's been accepted.

Dd began taking courses at the local polytech just after her 16th birthday. She has now earned a Level 2 Certificate (Sustained Rural Development), Level 3 Certificate (Sustained Rural Development), & a Level 3 Certificate (Foundation Studies). These certificates are tertiary qualifications & have helped get her accepted to begin her Marine Biology degree.

Blessings,