Menu

Homeschoolers applying to universities in Canada

I'd like to hear from parents who've helped their homeschooled kids negotiate university admissions in Canada. I was under the assumption that I'd need to have all of the things our US colleagues assemble--recommendations, school description, guidance statement, SAT scores, SAT subject scores, etc. I've just checked with U of Waterloo (on the arts side)--they would be happy to base admission on the 6 local university courses dd will have accumulated by that point. They do have an on-line information form that the kids can fill out--but it's not as extensive as what I think is expected in the states. No mention of SATs, etc, although I will double check that.

What's your experience--especially with kids who had accumulated some univ. credits while in high school?

but here in NZ, we haven't had to jump through the hoops that we would have if we were in the States. Dd begins her degree in February here in NZ. She applied in August (early by NZ standards) & had an interview. When dd applied she had been taking classes at the local polytech (like community college) since she turned 16yo. She had completed a level 2 certificate in Sustained Rural Development (60 credits) & a level 3 certificate in Sustained Rural Development (60 credits) & had just begun a level 3 certificate in Foundation Studies (60 credits). We made up a CV of all the courses / certificates / exams / etc. that she had completed & collected 3 personal references. These we showed to the interviewer & she was granted admission before we left the interview. He asked if she would have 42 credits NCEA3 before the end of the year. Dd said "no" but she would have a level 3 certificate in Foundations Studies from NorthTec. He was happy to accept that as long as she passed. (she earned three A+ & one A) She was accepted as if she had UE (university entrance)! He wa happy to accept dd as her CV showed that she was passionate about the environment & worked towards excellence. (She had already earned her Coast Guard Dayskippers certificate, PADI openwater diving license, Mountain Safety Outdoors First Aid certificate, Duke of Edinburgh Bronze & Silver Awards, Young Mariners Leading Mariner Award, Trinity Music Exams-Flute level 4 & 5, & more) The interviewer wasn't worried that she hadn't earned NCEA 3 or UE from PS. Canada is probably a bit different from NZ, but if your dc can show success at the tertiery level, highschool records aren't as important IMHO.

Blessings,

Ruth

Here's what we were told by McGill:

McGill University will consider applications from home schooled applicants. Each case will be treated on its own merits. As a home schooled candidate, you must send McGill University a description of the home schooling curriculum followed and measures of your academic acquisition in the program, including a comprehensive list of all texts (and editions) studied; a personal statement from you and a separate statement from your home educator explaining the basis of the university application and estimation of your readiness to handle university level subject matter; and an additional confidential letter of recommendation from an impartial source indicating your readiness for university level study. In some cases, further information and/or interview(s) with an Admissions Officer, Associate Dean, or Program Director may be required.

HTH

Moira

I think I had looked for, but not found, McGill's requirements. It's not currently at the top of dd's list, but I'm glad to have the information.

What I am finding is that they are a lot less interested in this type of info when a student has taken university courses. Or perhaps that's just Ontario universities that are less concerned. Ontario universities traditionally have only looked at the top 6 grade 12 high school course marks--no letters of reference, etc. There is a standard electronic form to fill out, without a lot of room for extra info. I guess I should ask what information they might want if they follow up after receiving the electronic form from a homeschooler.