Menu

Lively Latin & Writing Tales - Do I need GWG?

awanama

Are you thinking of this with both of your kids? I see you have an 11 and 8 year old. Definately you do not need GWG for your 8 year old. LL and WT is plenty of grammar for that age. If your 11 year old is in 6th grade -( i.e. heading toward jr. high.) I'd use JAG or AG to expand the grammar. I'm using AG with my oldest. We have done 2 of the 3 sessions and frankly all the grammar we did before was a waste of time. With my 8 year old she's using Lively Latin and Writing Tales - well we are using CW Poetry right now for a change of pace, but I intend to continue with her doing Latin and progymnasta writing then probably do JAG in the 4th or 5th and AG starting in the 6th as a 3 year program.

The great thing about the AG products is that they don't require grammar to be the focus of your studies while still really letting the student 'get it'. JAG is designed as a 10 week course but many do it a few times a week for 10 minutes or so over a year. AG is a 3 year course where you do just a few weeks a year then every 2 weeks or so you do a review page. It's great and my dd really understand grammar now in a way R&S grammar never taught her.

Heather

Lively Latin would be on the easy side for a 7th grader but would be doable. The problem I see is that you would need to move quickly for the 7th grader and more slowly for the 4th grader. That would defeat the purpose of having them together. My 7th grader is using Latin Prep which she loves.

I definately would not use additional grammar with your 4th grader if you are using LL and WT.

Heather