Menu

Tips for organizing homeschool & office supplies?

I'd like to organize our homeschool & office supplies closet over the next couple of days and would love to have your tips! The closet is large enough and already has shelves. I need to organize/containerize pencils, pens, post-it notes, binders, some curricula, binder rings, flash cards, copy paper, colored paper, card stock, notebook paper, printer cartridges, etc. I think i have room in there for gift wrapping supplies too!

Any advice on how to make this look nice and be practical for finding and using supplies? What kinds of containers do you use for these kinds of items?

I would have some removable bins for pencils/markers/crayons/art supplies - so you can pull and use them and they put them back easily.

Make things reachable - or not - depending on your kid's ages. I like being able to say "go grab a thing of glue" but you may want to avoid that!

ETA - i love to use hanging over the door holders for the inside of closets - they are so efficient. I've seen shoe ones used for all sorts of supplies - and they are really cheap.

Get boxes with lids so that they can be stacked. I love photo boxes, the kinds with little slots on the front for labels. They come in all sorts of pretty colors and patterns. I buy bunches of them when they're on sale for $2 or $2.50 each. You can get them at craft stores (Michaels, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, etc).

For larger stuff, I like the plastic bins that slide out like drawers. Again, they can be stacked, and are easily accessible. For the paper, I like the little shelf units made for holding paper! :o) You can get them at office supply stores.

I think the first step is to write out all of the different items you have to store in the closet. It helps me to see just how much I need to plan for. Then look at what storage containers/possibilities you already have. Plastic storage boxes w/lids, mason jars (pens, paintbrushes, etc), even diaper wipe boxes--gather anything that is available to use to organize. Or if you have money to spare and can just purchase them, have pictures of what is available or what you think you'd like to get. Then look at your list of items and start pairing them up with the containers. I like to do it on paper first. Then I draw a picture of the closet and start penciling in the containers in a diagram.

You've inspired me...I need to organize something. :D