Menu

Many thanks to those of you who are taking care of the elderly.

I did not realize how physically and emotionally taxing it is to care for the elderly. Without any thought to the amount of time and energy it might take, I offered to take an elderly lady (88 years old) to church. She recently lost her car and her mobility. She has difficulty walking and must use a cane. She is hard of hearing, so she must ask people to repeat themselves. She is having "spells", moments when she fells like she is going to faint or pass out. Her son is gradually taking over her responsibilities, especially managing her finances. She is afraid of ending up in a nursing home.

That's a lot to deal with when you are taking care of an elderly parent, relative, or friend. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who give some much of your time and energy to make their lives easier. God will indeed bless you for your service to them. KUDOS!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Claire in NM

It's very hard. My in-laws are pretty much my responsibility since my DH works (and he's and only child). We've been through so much with them. What I do for them absolutely pales in comparison for what my MIL does for my FIL. She is so selfless and giving and caring of him. She cleans up his accidents and helps him shower. He's basically a 240lb infant. I see that the end of her being able to do all this is near and I am in a bit of a panic about the future for them. They are retired school teachers on a fixed income with supposedly no access to Medicare.

What is so heartbreaking is when they claim "I refuse to go to a nursing home!!!" Ok, so the burden you have now placed on your caregivers is too much to bear. Of course, I don't think they mean it that way.

I had no idea what this was going to be like when we moved them here to be near us. I will face this for the next 10 years with them, and then comes my mom and step-dad. It's not like children where you can look forward to their growing independence. It's the opposite and can be very bleak at times.

:grouphug: Also to all of you in my boat. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas with your loved ones!