Menu

TOG.... What's the best way to purchase this?

SonshineLearner

Hi There,

I have a 6th grader and 1st grader....

I'm looking at purchasing TOG... So, here are some things to consider:

I use IEW and am thinking of doing CW druring the off times.

We use Singapore Math...

We have our own grammar program... and I'm considering p/u Shurley 7 for grammar...

I've tried the LCC and I'm ok with some of that.... But... I'm looking at doing some TOG... Crazy??? What should I purchase if I go with it... and what could I do with the 6th and 1st....

I'd like to try it sometime after Ancient History.... (We're starting to get sick of that...)

Carrie:-):confused:

Hi There,

We use Singapore Math...

We have our own grammar program... and I'm considering p/u Shurley 7 for grammar...

I've tried the LCC and I'm ok with some of that.... But... I'm looking at doing some TOG... Crazy??? What should I purchase if I go with it... and what could I do with the 6th and 1st....

I'd like to try it sometime after Ancient History.... (We're starting to get sick of that...)

No I don't think you are crazy. I don't use TOG on schedule, we often take longer because we don't have a lot of time for history, but I still wouldn't trade in my TOG.

Really the best thing to do is to try one of the three week samples. Because you don't want to cover Ancient history, try to years 2 sample.

Heather

Hi There,

We use Singapore Math...

If you're tired of Ancient History then I would definitely begin with TOG Year 2which is mostly middle ages. You can also go with Year 3 if you'd like. You can begin in any year you desire.

You do NOT have to use TOG's writing program (Writing Aids). I don't, though I do own it. It's very, very easy to use TOG with another writing program. I am currently using IEW's Middle Ages with our Y2. Last year I use Writing Tales 2 with our Y1 and a smattering of TOG Writing Aids assignments here and there.

With TOG you use whatever English, Math and Science you like. TOG is mainly history, literature, worldview, and art/art appreciation with vocab and other goodies thrown in to use if you'd like.

So basically you would buy your year plan and your history, lit and worldview books. Anything else...such as art even...is gravy. Does that help?

Your 1st grader would be in the Lower Grammar level and you would use the books listed for that level with her. Your 6th grader would probably be in the Upper Grammar level. Some books could be combined and used with both. It really helps to first buy the year plan and then decide on what books to buy.

As for the other TOG stuff...you really don't need Writing Aids (unless you plan to use TOGs writing assignments), or the Evaluations or Pop Quizzes. I have them all and rarely EVER use them. They are NOT needed at all. Your year plan has PLENTY and is truly all you need aside from the purchase of your history/lit/worldview/art books. And the library comes in very handy for those.

[eta sorry for the horrid grammar/punctuation....I'm being hurried]

You should be able to find used redesigned versions for sale of Years 1-3. Year 4 will be either in digital form or classic.

Personally, I would look for a redesigned over a classic. The classic version was very confusing to me when I was shopping TOG and always deterred me. When TOG came out with their redesigned versions it all clicked into place.

If you are wanting to buy new, then yes, I believe your only option is the digital version which is yours for LIFE. Many like the digital I hear, but I don't like digital materials. Especially digital materials that are not truly mine...something I can sell when/if I want too. I have paper versions of years 1-3 myself and will have to use digital for Year 4. I am already thinking that I may use something else for that year just so I don't have to pay for something I will never get to use again, nor sell (I only have one child left to school).

Until you know your going to use TOG for the long haul, I personally would shop all the various sale boards and look for a Redesigned paper version of Y2 or 3. That's just me though. ;)

If you are wanting to buy new, then yes, I believe your only option is the digital version which is yours for LIFE.

This is no longer the case. Beginning in 2010 you will be able to buy all year plans in print with the ability to resell.

Until you know your going to use TOG for the long haul, I personally would shop all the various sale boards and look for a Redesigned paper version of Y2 or 3. That's just me though.

I agree ;)

This is no longer the case. Beginning in 2010 you will be able to buy all year plans in print with the ability to resell.

That's fantastic!! Thanks for the update Karen, I had not heard this. Yay! Now I can stop wondering what I am going to use for Y4. I can buy Y4!! Wooohooo! :D

[ETA Hmmm...price for print is significantly higher isn't it? ($100 higher!) I'll have to weigh that in to my Y4 decision]

Edited by Melissa in CA