Menu

Math anxiety/perfectionist tendency ds 7

Anyone deal with math anxiety issues. Can't get it right away he freezes. Happens with flash cards and timed quizzes, and also hates counting by 2's, 3's, 25's, etc. Math tends to take 2x as long as it should! We are doing Saxon 2. He does not have the ability to calm down and find the solution. No matter what he is told nothing helps! How do I get him past this? My husband is doing extra work with math at night to give more practice with flash cards and help him calm down. We are on Lesson 106 and I stopped the timed tests last week and told him he will not be timed again until Saxon 3 begins. We are hoping with extra help he will have a better grasp and quicker recall. Any other advice would be great! Thanks! We have Saxon 3 already to go and I am not wanting to switch curriculum.

My ds is a little like that. He freezes then gets really agitated if he thinks he is timed or put on the spot. I don't use timed drills with him. I try to drill him when he is relaxed. Lots of times I will ask him questions in the car, it seems to help because he is relaxed and looking out the window seems to help him focus and just answer instead of getting nervous about being questioned. He has really started to improve and gain better speed just by randomly quizing him during the day. HTH