Menu

Has anyone used Plaid Phonics Word Study Levels D-F?

JudoMom

I'm using Level D right now with dd. What do you want to know? It's a workbook.... Here's an example of the last assignment she did:

It introduced a rule (the letter s can stand for the/s/, /z/, or /sh/ sounds)

Then it has a story (I use that term loosely) where dd had to underline every word that contained an s, then copy them into the correct column, depending on what sound it makes (as in safe, rose or sure).

I like it as something that she can do independently and review concepts she might not have learned in her phonics instruction. I don't consider it an essential part of our school day, though.

We use these at my house. My daughter is currently in Level D. It fits nicely. As the previous poster said, it is something that can be done independently. Here is a previous post about this curriculum where I listed the contents of Level D. Maybe it will help you as well.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107262

That was helpful.

Ds7 will be finishing up C soon, and I was planning on having him move into D.

Ds10 & ds9 are finishing Vocabulary from Classical Roots 4 this week, and I don't want to continue with it right now. I'm considering placing them in level E in the Word Study. Do you think they'll miss much by not doing D, or is there some review built in?

Since I also have levels E and F here, I'll take a bit of time and try to list a bit of each.

Level E: Unit 1 -- Consonant Variants, Consonant Combinations, Vowel Combinations, and Syllables (k, qu, kn, ch, c, g, f, s, wh, sh, th, sh, th, wh, sc, gn, r, air, ear, ild, ind, ost, old)

Unit 2 -- Vowel pairs and diagraphs, diphtongs, and syllables (ai, ay, ee, ei, oa, oe, ow, ea, ei, ey, au, aw, ie, oo, ui, oi, oy, ou, ow, ew)

Unit 3 -- Prefixes, suffixes, roots, and base words (un, dis, ir, in, im, in, en, mis, mal, pre, pro, re, ex, fore, post, over, co, com, con, sub, mid, bi, tri)

Unit 4 -- Roots, Compounds, Possessives, and Contractions (pos, pel, pul port, ject, aud, dict, duct, duce, duc, scribe, script, spec, spect, mit, miss, fac, fect, fic, feit)

Unit 5 -- Suffixes (er, or, ist, ward, en, ize, er, est, ee, eer, ent, ant, ful, ness, hood, ship, ment, able, ible, ion, ation, ition, ance, ence, ive, ity)

Unit 6 -- Suffixes, Plurals, and Syllables (words that double the final consonant to add a suffix, words that drop the final e to add a suffix, more than one suffix, words ending in y, adding suffix ly to words ending in y or le, plural forms for words ending in f, fe, o)

Unit 7 -- Dictionary Skills

Level F: Unit 1 -- Consonant Variants, Letter Combinations, and Syllables (k, kw, ch, kn, c, g, j, f, gh, s, wh, sh, th, sc, gn, tch, r, ear, air, ild, ind, ost, old)

Unit 2 -- Vowel pairs, digraphy, diphthongs and Syllables (ai, ay, ee, ei, oa, oe, ow, ea, ie, ei, ey, au, aw, oo, ui, oi, oy, ou, ow, ew)

Unit 3 -- Word Parts and Prefixes (ir, im, il, in, im, em, mis, mal, anti, counter, de, fore, post, over, ultra, super, trans, semi, sub, mid, uni, mono, bi, tri)

Unit 4 -- Roots, Compounds, Possessives, Contractions, and Syllables (pos, pel, pul, port, ject, aud, dict, cap, cept, ceipt, spec, spect, mit, miss, man)

Unit 5 -- Suffixes (er, or, ist, er, est, ous, al, ward, en, ize, ful, ness, hood, ship, ment, able, ible, ion, ation, ition, ance, ence, ive, ity)

Unit 6 -- Suffixes, Plurals, and Syhllables

Unit 7 -- Alphabetizing, Using the Dictionary, Multi-meaning words, homographs

There is proably a bit of overlap, but not much. The words get harder through the levels. The titles of the units seem to be in the same order.

Hope this helps a bit. I didn't really check for typo's, so hopefully it isn't too bad.

Lisa