Menu

Evaluators in NOVA

I think I have decided to use an evaluator / portfolio approach to assessment this year. My ds hates testing, as do I, and he is getting more and more spread across the spectrum in terms of his grade level abilities--anywhere from second grade to late third grade.

I'm wondering if anyone else here uses an evaluator, and could tell me how to get in touch with one, how this works...Basically, what do I do and what should I expect?

tia

I've never used an evaluator. However, my mother-in-law evaluated portfolios submitted to her county (Prince William) and honestly, after seeing how she evaluated them, I would never submit my portfolio directly to the county. Whatever you do, if you stay with portfolios, get recommendations from other homeschoolers in your county.

I recommend that you order the CAT-E survey (just tests Language Arts and Mathematics as required by VA) from Seton and take a look at it. They are fill in the bubble tests and neither of my kids found them stressful. The time they allow for each section seems more than adequate. I schedule fun breaks and snacks between sections to keep it fun.

hth

K

I use an evaluator in Florida. Here, any licensed teacher can evaluate a portfolio. I call her a couple of weeks before we're ready, she shows up and spends an hour or so reviewing our portfolio. She signs a document which I send in to the County and we're done for the year.

The easiest way to find an evaluator in your state is to contact several homeschool support groups. They'll have a list of teachers who do this.