Menu

Would this have bothered you?

I dropped ds#1 and dd off at taekwondo around 3:50 today for their 4:00 class. When I got there at 4:25 to hang out and watch the class, the guy who runs the dojang wasn't there and a lady who is a student but doesn't actually work there was hanging out talking to two of the older students (maybe 11 and 14?) about drinking.

My kids aren't actually in the after school program, so they're not there for the daycare part of it, but I wasn't happy that there wasn't an adult present who actually worked there.

I would probably ask if this would be an ongoing situation.

I guess that's why I'm not really concerned. It sounded to me like a one-off situation rather than an ongoing problem or neglect, and I lean toward giving someone the benefit of the doubt (bathroom break, urgent phone call, whatever).

Did he have someone come in specifically to have this talk with the kids about drinking?

I would certainly want to know about that ahead of time. I have my own views about drinking and would want to know if someone was planning on giving my kids a lecture about that - I may not be happy with what they were teaching. That would bother me more than the fact that a different adult was in charge than the one that owns the facility. I expect that sometimes the owner will not be there and might have a substitute. But I would want to know when the topic is going to be something other than what I think I am paying him for, which would be physical instruction.

Yes, it would have bothered me. When I drop my child off with an instructor, I expect that instructor stay until the children are picked up, barring some sort of emergency. I'm not trusting with children with some other person, I'm trusting them with the instructor.

That was my feeling.