Menu

How to deal with teen angst?

I've been through it 3 times, and I have no answers. I am enjoying the lull while the 11yo is still pleasant all the time.

I would say that I was :bigear:, but I'd be lying. I will just poke my fingers in my ears and sing "La-la-la-la" at the top of my lungs, and repeat my mantra of "#4 will NOT have angst or drama, #4 will NOT have angst or drama..."

Sorry, hang in there, and I'm sure I'll be in here hunting up this thread looking for advice any MONTH now...

No good suggestions - but I feel your pain.

Older dd is starting to turn a corner that started (for her) at 11. (She's nearing 15 now.)

I don't know if it's a cause or an effect, but she and I have had more reasonable discussions lately. I don't know if I'm backing off so she's not feeling the need to rebel as much, or if she's rebelling less, so I'm backing off more. :confused:

Regardless, things are looking up w/her.

Now younger dd is just 12 - completely different side of the mountain.:tongue_smilie:

Ignore the angst. Reacting just feeds the flame. Make sure to spend extra time with your teen and really build up the relationship. I do try to listen and I'm always up for negotiation, but sometimes I will say no. I think it helps if your kids see you as reasonable. If your teen tries to bait you into fighting DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT. Send said kid to their room calmly and take a bath. If you do get pulled in try to stop the escalation and take a 24- hour break.

I love teenagers. They are my favorite people, but they can make you miserable if you let them. I have one that is wonderful now that butted heads with me for 6 months until I figured out what not to do. I am currently navigating teen number two and her angst. Refuse to get emotionally entangled with them when they are upset and show them lots of love when they are over it. That's the best I can tell you.