Menu

Question on using MCT

scrapbabe

So with all the talk about MCT, I'm curious as to how easy it is to implement. I understand it's sort of any "out of the box' LA program. But is it hard to implement? Is it like CW where it takes a while to figure the whole thing out? Or is it pretty self explanatory and you just pick it up and go?

Smiles,

Shalynn

Well, we just purchased Island and so far it has been pick up and go. We have been doing it for a few days now. We are just reading and discussing the grammar book and reading and doing the little exercises in Building Language. Today we read about linking and action verbs and he wrote a little "re" poem from Building Language. He also did Week 1 Day 1 & 2 from CW Aesop's "A Laconic Answer".

I hope this helps. Time to get math done as I'd like it done before dinner. :glare:

I can't speak for their secondary level material because we are not there yet. But for the elementary level, it's pretty easy to implement. We just read the text and discuss, very simple. Here is a link to the implementation model slide show:http://www.rfwp.com/samples/LA-ELEM.pdf

There is no real suggested pacing or scheduling though, so I would love to hear from those who are at the point of using all MCT LA's materials how they "schedule" it, what pacing has worked for them, and how they determined the frequency of each component.

Are you on their Yahoo group? I believe someone there shared their schedule and saved it under files. I have not personally looked at it though because I have not had the need to do so. But you might want to take a look if you are interested in knowing how others schedule it.

We just started the island level 2 weeks ago and have finished the parts of speech section. According to the slideshow on their site, we are to add the vocabulary book, work through that and the grammar book. Once the grammar book is done, move on to the practice book and add the sentence book. The poetry book can be weaved in at any time.

There is no real suggested pacing or scheduling though, so I would love to hear from those who are at the point of using all MCT LA's materials how they "schedule" it, what pacing has worked for them, and how they determined the frequency of each component.

I'm not sure if it's different at the elementary level, but with Magic Lens, we do the practice book alongside the grammar book. I match them up by looking at which vocab list is mentioned in the grammar book exercises & which list is referenced on in the practice book pages.

I agree MCT is not laid out well for homeschoolers, unless you're the very flexible sort that likes to spend a lot of time planning. For the rest of us, there are some sample plans on the MCTLA yahoo group files. I just took those thoughts and planned a week at a time. At the end of that week, I decided how to plan the next. Now some 12 weeks into it, it is very easy to plan. And besides the planning piece, from the very beginning it's been very easy to actually use.

Julie