Menu

Smelly carpet???

Last week we had a nor'easter hit our area. Some of the carpet around our back door became wet and unfortunately I didn't realize it until a day after the rain stopped. It had rained for three days. Now I've tried to dry it out without pulling it up and it smells. After it was fairly dry I shampooed the area but it still smells. What can I do? :confused:

the underlay probably got soaked. You can rent heavy duty fans to set on the area to help speed drying.

I have also lifted carpets off the tacking strips, folded it back (it kind of lies in a big pile, not fully flat on itself) and then set the fans up. Some people feel this wrecks carpets but IME I've been able to get the carpet back on the tacks with no probs. If it stays wet & gets moldy it will be wrecked anyway.....

After it's fully dry you need something like zeolite to put on the underlay, and then, after all that, then you can treat the carpet with either more zeolite or something like Odor Ban.

best wishes