Menu

Living Books Curriculum- likes/dislikes

the4Rs

Someone mentioned Living Books Curriculum to me recently on here and I after looking at their website I like a lot about it (not all but a lot) and was wondering why it seems so few are actually using the program and if there is something wrong with it. Their forum is almost non-existent. Thanks.

I use this, but we have just started. My children seem to really enjoy most of books. My oldest is in sixth grade and I have seem her face light up with reading her schools books on her own.

I am frustrated that their boards aren't more active.

One of my favorite things is the TG. Books are scheduled but not down to exact page numbers and what to do everyday. It is somewhere in between very scheduled and unscheduled. I have added a few things and I have taken a few out, but I don't have to come up with the plan on my own totally.

I too looked at this curriculum and it looks great, especially if you like the CM approach but want everything planned out for you and all the books ready to go. When I was trying to decide whether or not to do a CM approach, I was debating between AO, Tanglewood, and Living Books. I think that one of the reasons more people don't use it is because it can be pricey, although many feel it is worth it because it means less work for the teacher. But you can get free CM style schedules and curriculum online and then use your local library and online public domain books for much less. This is what I ended up doing, I am combining several of the free online CM style curriculums along with some WTM resources. Whatever I can't get at the library, or whatever I feel I should own I buy on ebay or boards for much less than retail.

I really thought hard about using this curriculum. I ended up changing my mind for two reasons.

- I like having my kids together in Bible, History, and Science. It just makes life easier for me.

- It isn't very library friendly, due to the length of time that some books are read.

It is a fantastic curriculum; GREAT books, solid, and well thought out. If the above doesn't bother you then it might be a perfect fit!