Menu

reality check for capitialization in daily use

christine in al

It's one of two things:

-He doesn't really know the rules for Caps

-He knows the rules, but doesn't really care if he get them correct or not

If it's #1, then I think the answer is pretty obvious.

It it's #2, then you and he need to sit down and make a deal:

You - I know you know to put a capital at the beginning of a sentence, use end punctuation, and capitalize names and other proper nouns (list whatever you KNOW he knows.) For this day on, if you make a mistake in these 3 (or 4, 5, 2, whatever), you will re-write the entire sentence (not fix his error, re-write the WHOLE THING).

Son - okay.

Here's the deal, though. You cannot bluff! You'll have to do this for a while until he FINALLY understands that it's way too much work to re-do his mistakes and it's easier to do it correctly the first time.

Blessings,

DS9 is very bright, went to ps through last year, and STILL does this here and there. It does drive me crazy and I will again need to start making him redo the entire thing when he makes 1 mistake like this. That is what I did with his dictations from school last year and there was a big improvement. Chances are your ds is not detail oriented. My ds isn't.

Brownie

Ahhh...I do have the same child. DH refers to him as having a pass-fail attitude. This is something my dh and I aren't familiar with. It is a constant struggle. I told ds today after he made another captalization error that he will have to redo work from now on if it happens again. Brownie