Menu

HOD Beyond and SOTW?

MDMom

Im making a switch for our first grade studies to HOD's Beyond. I am really excited about it! The reasoning behind the switch was to integrate more bible into more subject and enrich the school day with more meaningful activites, discussions, read alouds, etc. I think HOD will do this for us. I would like to keep up with our SOTW reading though (to stay on the 4 year cycle) and would like to know if this is possible. My plan is to just do the readings when I can along with the mapping and coloring page. So, I would have two streams of history going at the same time World History (SOTW) and American History (HOD). Am I crazy or will this work?

Yes, your crazy:D. Of course it can work and if you did this, you could put a big timeline on your wall so when you went back to ancient history discussions you could show your daughter where you are at. All that being said, I asked my son yesterday and he doesn't remember that we studied ancients in first grade. So, I think if you just did HOD's programs you would still be able to begin a four year cycle for 5th grade, when your child WILL remember what they are doing. Whatever you do, have fun :)

I have to agree with Alison. I think it's too much. HoD is so rich without adding more. I asked my dd about first grade the other day (she was in ps) and she doesn't remember much about what she studied at all. They did a state history unit that she has no recollection of at all.

And actually if you do Beyond for 1st, and continue on with HoD, you will wind up hitting the 4 year cycle in 4th grade. Beyond - 1st, then Bigger - 2nd, and Preparing - 3rd. We are a year behind you and doing Preparing for 4th and I am finding it on the perfect level for my dd. We are enjoying it immensely and are looking forward to starting the 4 year cycle next year in 5th.

Sure you can do that. I'd probably use HOD during the day for "school time" and then just read SOTW in the evenings, maybe as a bedtime book, if you do that. We've always read alot at bedtime (like an hour or so before lights out). We read SOTW 1, 2, and most of 3 like that. Other than a brief period, I've always done SOTW "on the side." We like the maps, so we've used those but never really stuck to doing the projects. We mostly enjoy SOTW as a read-aloud and not as a full curriculum.

I'd suggest not stressing about it. Since Beyond will be a new curriculum for you, I'd suggest just enjoying that for a few weeks and then seeing if you feel like continuing with the SOTW readings. We'll start Beyond sometime after Christmas. I am really looking forward to the storytimes. I'm teaching two HOD guides, so we are getting plenty of reading in just from HOD, but if I were doing just one, I'd probably go through SOTW again.