Menu

Have you seen this New York Times article about homeschooling and sports?

I saw it too, very positive piece. However, I was dishearten that, yet again, the article gives the reader the impression that only Christians homeschool. I would love to see a positive piece that shows all who homeschool. Still it's nice to see a positive piece, especially in the NY Times!

I was dishearten that, yet again, the article gives the reader the impression that only Christians homeschool.

I squirm when I read articles like this that imo convey homeschooling solely as a product of conservative Christianity ~ and fwiw, I'm speaking as a Christian. Also, I am so grateful Washington is among the states that allows all students access to public school activities so my guys don't have to pursue leagues and tournaments that are homeschooler-specific.

As someone in California in a district that does not allow homeschooled students to participate in extra curricular activities through the school system, this is encouraging and discouraging at the same time.

My son is in 7th grade and I have a great delimna coming up on whether to send him to the local HS or not........strictly based on sports. He is a good basketball and track athlete and wants to play both sports in high school. Our problem is that he MUST go to the school to do it. Unfortunately we have a terrible high school in a small town. We live in a rural area, so while this organized group sounds wonderful in the article it is disheartening for someone like me who lives nowhere near anything like that.

So do I send him so he can play........or keep him home and he misses out.

I don't envy my decision in a year and a half