Menu

Care packages for senior citizens...

I am in charge of the "Community Corner" for our VBS program at church this summer. I will be talking to the children about the importance of serving others. I have decided that I want to have one main project that we all work on for the week...putting together care packages for the elderly and shut-ins from our church.

What kinds of ideas can you give me? I need some easy ideas for the younger children and more advanced things for the older group. The age will range from 5-12yo.

For the older children: I thought they could write letters telling a little about themselves...weave paper place mats...make something with air-drying and paint it...???

For the younger: color pictures...make bookmarks...make a frame with popsicle sticks around the scripture theme for the week... ???

I'm still working on ideas that will be easy to accomplish within 5 days...with 25 minutes per session.

Thanks for any ideas!

~Holly

You have some good ideas!

How about making some refrigerator magnets?

One thing someone gave me... let's see if I can describe it...

A rectangular piece of card stock was decorated and used to make an attractive "holder" for a pad of sticky notes. The post-it pad was glued to the center of the card stock. The bottom folded around to fully cover the post-its, and had a slot where the top (cut to a triangle) could slide in and "close" the little case. The kids could decorate the card stock with stickers, stamps, drawings or Bible Verses.

You can slip that pad of sticky notes in your purse without them getting crumpled or peeling off. LOL, I love that thing!

(If I didn't explain that well enough, please ask. It's really quite simple, but harder to describe than you'd think. ;) )

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I would think of things they could make that would be useable day to day.

Book marks are a great idea.

No sew fleece blankets are a really great idea.

Home baked food is a nice gesture. Especially something that might remind some of them of their childhood, something like brown sugar, or ginger snap cookies.

A really fun idea would be to take the interested teenagers who would like to be "story" pen pals with the seniors. Have the teenagers write about events in their lives, in exchange for the seniors writing stories about when they were that age. It would be an eye opening experiance for both generations.