Menu

Do you always need to take calcium with Vitamin D?

I swear I read a discussion on this forum the other day stating that you need to eat a calcium-rich food or take a calcium supplement in the same general time frame that you take the vitamin D supplement.

But now I can't seem to find the thread and I can't find this info on the Vitamin D Council website.

I've been sick and reading threads while laying on the couch so I could have it all mixed up.

Can anyone comment or link the thread?

I swear I read a discussion on this forum the other day stating that you need to eat a calcium-rich food or take a calcium supplement in the same general time frame that you take the vitamin D supplement.

But now I can't seem to find the thread and I can't find this info on the Vitamin D Council website.

I've been sick and reading threads while laying on the couch so I could have it all mixed up.

Can anyone comment or link the thread?

I don't know about the thread but I will say that vitamin D (just like vitamins A and E) are fat soluble and you should therefore take them with some kind of food. In addition, I believe the reason is actually the opposite of what you are thinking. Vitamin D is a huge aid to absorbing calcium. For this reason, it's often recommended that you take them together. You should also take iron and vitamin C (or vitamin C-rich foods) together because the vitamin C helps you absorb the iron. On the other hand, dairy, eggs and certain other foods inhibit the absorption of iron.