Menu

Neat opportunity at 'vo-tech' type school

When I was in high school, vo-tech was generally cosmetology and shop, and usually attracted the non-college bound. So I spent years ignoring mail and flyers from a place which called itself a 'career center,' but which I just thought of as a glorified vo-tech school.

Boy, was I wrong! Fortunately, I noticed before it was too late for my son to take advantage of it. My 11th grader is currently taking a course there called Computer Networking Academy. It's three hours a day, and gives 3.5 high school credits per year. He gets to work on all kinds of neat computer equipment that we could never afford, and it costs us nothing because they save slots for private school and homeschool students. If he completes and does well in both years of the program, he'll graduate from high school with:

– Cisco CCNA Intro

– Microsoft Certified Professional

– Comptia A+

– Comptia Network +

These are professional certifications which cost many hundreds of dollars to acquire in the real world, and which could enable him to work in a professional environment immediately after high school, either as a gap year, or to help pay for college, or... ? I also like that they require the kids to dress and behave in a professional manner.

He can get up to 30 hours of college credit from it that is guaranteed to be accepted at several local 2 and 4 year schools.

In addition to this program, they have dozens of other options: in computers, in media, agriculture, business, hospitality, health, and of course cosmetology and automotive, as well as others.

So, I encourage anyone who has a similar resource in their area to check it out!

Blessings,

Debbie