Menu

WWE Level 1 Questions

Sahamamama

Is WWE Level 1 appropriate for a bright, young, very verbal girl who is begging to learn to write? She is excited because I told her we are "officially homeschooling" in 2010 -- and calling it Kindergarten. However, what we've been doing this past year has actually been on a K level, so I think she'll soon be ready for some 1st grade level work, especially in LA.

She can print all of her letters and numerals beautifully, is beginning to do copywork of single words and simple sentences, narrates back reasonably well after a single reading aloud of a passage or chapter, and asks me constantly, "How do I write __________?" She has nearly completed Evan Moor's Skill Sharpeners Spell & Write (K), and needs to move beyond writing letters and single words. She can independently spell many simple words, such as brush, nest, sand, pickle, turnip, and so on. She has a wonderful vocabulary.

OTOH, I don't want to push her too much, but OTOH, I think it's nearing time to give her a challenge. My husband thinks she is going to stagnate with "cat, sat, mat" level work -- and I agree. So, those of you who've used/seen WWE 1, would it work for us? I've looked it over with a FTC, and I like what I see. What do you think?

:bigear:

Edited by Sahamamama

Absolutely. I started using it with dd5 about 6 months ago, after she had gone through a K handwriting book and could form her letters well. We started FLL at the same time. If you are planning to use FLL I would recommend starting both at once since the copywork in WWE will reinforce the grammar that was introduced in FLL. We do WWE three days a week (I double up one of the days and do copywork and one of the narrations in a single day) and FLL twice a week (skipping the narrations and copywork in FLL).

We have really enjoyed it so far, we are about halfways through the workbook now and I have no regrets starting early with her.

Thank you, lovelearnandlive, that is so helpful to consider. We are planning to begin FLL 1/2 at the same time. Much of the first grade level of FLL is material she already knows, such as her address, phone number, days of the week, months of the year, the seasons, and the stories. She's been listening to the stories, poems, and songs on the CD for over a year now -- and practically has them memorized! So much for using them for narration! :001_smile:

Actually, that gives me an idea: Since dd has listened to the stories used for narration in FLL so often, I probably will use the narration exercises in WWE. Hey, thanks for the idea! See? Two minds really DO work better than one! :D

Thank you, lovelearnandlive, that is so helpful to consider. We are planning to begin FLL 1/2 at the same time. Much of the first grade level of FLL is material she already knows, such as her address, phone number, days of the week, months of the year, the seasons, and the stories. She's been listening to the stories, poems, and songs on the CD for over a year now -- and practically has them memorized! So much for using them for narration! :001_smile:

Actually, that gives me an idea: Since dd has listened to the stories used for narration in FLL so often, I probably will use the narration exercises in WWE. Hey, thanks for the idea! See? Two minds really DO work better than one! :D

Sounds like a great plan! :D FLL will probably be a breeze for her. I think the narrations in WWE are a little more difficult than those in FLL; some of the selections have been kind of hard for dd to get into. I think part of it is that the FLL selections (so far anyway) are complete stories/fables, while the WWE selections are just short passages from a novel. Of course when the story is about a princess she pays better attention, too. ;) And I have seen a big improvement in her ability to answer questions at the end even when it's obvious that she isn't that into the story.

There is a CD for FLL? I had no idea!