Menu

how much vit D to take to help prevent h1N1

That's the dose to maintain current vitamin D levels. For prevention what you want is adequate vitamin D levels (in the 50's +). And the dose that it takes to get there of course would depend on the person's level. So without knowing a vitamin D level it's impossible to suggest a dose.

I know my level is very good so I'm doing a maintenance dose. I know my kids were in the 40's so I'm doing 2000 IU per day for them. That is 500 to 1000 more than the maintenance dose. For kids over age one, 2000 IU per day of D3 is safe. So that would be a good choice for a child when the level is unkown. I think the upper safe dose goes up at age 10. If 2000 IU is less than 1000 per 25 pounds for your child I would dose higher for my starting minimum for sure.

We don't know hubby's level. He was taking 5000 IU per day. I bumped it to 9000 IU per day now because of this flu. Research shows 9000 IU should be safe for adults.