Menu

What did you think of the Lost Symbol?

This was my first Dan Brown book. I loved it for the first 400 pages. Yes, it was formulaic writing - little explanations about something, a revelation, a big action scene - over and over and over! It was still fun though. Then, the last 50 pages. Wowsa! A very lengthy sermon about the author's "God is within you" philosophy. Never seen anything like that in a fiction book. Really turned me off, and I won't read him again. I did like the genre though, and I would like to read similar books. Any suggestions?

Here is a good article with the same impressions I had, written much more thoughtfully!

http://blog.beliefnet.com/bibleandculture/2009/09/the-lost-symbol-and-the-browning-of-american-religion.html

Well, I read the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons and I liked them but I thought the Lost Symbol was terrible. Since you haven't read the other two you wouldn't have the same experience I had which was....I knew EXACTLY what was going to happen with in the first chapter or so. I knew who was "the bad guy" and a pretty good idea of what was going to happen. I was pretty unimpressed.

Edited by Heather in NC

Well, I read the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons and I liked them but I thought the Lost Symbol was terrible. Since you haven't read the other two you wouldn't have the same experience I had which was....I knew EXACTKY what was going to happen with in the first chapter or so. I knew who was "the bad guy" and a pretty good idea of what was going to happen. I was pretty unimpressed.

Kinda. Yeah. I'm on about pg 200 and I have been reading it since it came out or at least trying to. Fairly disappointed.

Loved the DaVinci Code, though. I think the thing with Brown is that there aren't many other books like his, that mixes the historical, factual, fiction in quite the way that he does, so I don't have any other suggestions for you, other than to give Angels and Demons and the DaVinci Code a try.

I've read that DaVinci and Angels and Demons were better, but I still have no desire to read DaVinci!

I did some reading about similar book recs over the weekend and found this title that I ordered from the library. I hope it is a pageturner, that was the fun part about reading The Lost Symbol!

Gold of the Kings by Davis Bunn

http://www.davisbunn.com/

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Gold-of-Kings/Davis-Bunn/9781416556312#reviews