Menu

a good place to buy a keyboard?

RainbowSprinkles

my dd just started taking piano lessons this week. my original plan was to rent a keyboard for her to practice on at home, but after calling different music stores, it looks like it would be cheaper to just go and buy one. i'm really only looking for a starter keyboard and would like to keep it under $150. anyone know of a good place to purchase one? thanks!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for one too. Preferable one that is portable since we accompany my husband on business trips. The Costco magazine shows that they have a Yamaha online for $139. We looked in Best Buy and found one it that range as well but it was too big to be portable.

We have purchased two keyboards (one upper end), a guitar, and several other items from them. They have excellent customer service and are very responsive. Right now they have a Yamaha PSR E223 entry-level keyboard on sale for $90 with free shipping: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PSRE223-61-KEY-ENTRY-LEVEL-PORTABLE-KEYBOARD?sku=580590 (MSRP $170)

If you do a serach on "keyboard" you'll find many options. I don't have stock in them (maybe I should!) but just love the company.

HTH!

Lea

Do you have Craig's List? I was thrilled to find a steal of a deal on Craig's list just this week. I bought a lightweight Casio Privia xp-100 which is an 88-Key Scaled Hammer Action keyboard with touch sensitivity for $150. It retailed for over $500. It is lighweight so is portable. It will be perfect for lessons because it has the full keyboard and the keys are weighted so will have a similar feel to a piano. We used to have a small keyboard and not only do the the keys have an entirely different feel but it didn't hold up.

We have purchased two keyboards (one upper end), a guitar, and several other items from them. They have excellent customer service and are very responsive. Right now they have a Yamaha PSR E223 entry-level keyboard on sale for $90 with free shipping: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PSRE223-61-KEY-ENTRY-LEVEL-PORTABLE-KEYBOARD?sku=580590 (MSRP $170)

What a great first post! :D I'll be showing this to my husband. Thank you!