Menu

Dyslexic Math Woes

I am driving myself crazy worrying about this child and her math skills. I have three children, two of whom are dyslexic. We've got the reading stuff under control and are moving along nicely. Of my three children, #1 (dyslexic) and #2 are very good at math. It's #3 (severely dyslexic) that is not intuitive in math.

I have bought and owned many excellent math programs that I felt would work with her, but realizing that my time is limited and wanting to focus more on reading, I ultimately decided to use Developmental Math. Honestly, this is the first math program that has been a good fit for all of us and yet I realize that it's not perfect. It is a workbook approach, but I back it up with manipulatives and regularly check to make sure that she is comprehending what she's doing.

Here is my dilemma - I'm not sure if *understanding* is enough. She is 9 years old and finally doing well, but relies so heavily on using her fingers, abacus, or math rods. She needs them for 6+1. She doesn't need help on HOW to do the problem, but computation isn't automatic. I could see that being an issue for say 7+4, but 6+1?? She also has huge issues when they change the format of the equation. She can easily figure out 40+30=70, but if they ask 70=40+?, then she is absolutely lost.

I realize that I *love* math, my boys *love* math, but my daughter struggles. DM has been much better for her, but I am worried that it's not enough and that I should be using something like RightStart or MOTL with her and spending time EVERY day working more intensely.

Am I micromanaging her math? Am I expecting too much? Is understanding and being able to figure it out really enough?

I am comfortable teaching her, I'm just not sure what my goal should be. I find that I am creative and patient, but I do struggle to find enough time in the day to do it all with three kids and meet my other responsibilities. Is it time to bite the bullet and do something more intensive or should I step back and celebrate that she's making progress on her own timetable and quit worrying about keeping up in math??:confused:

Thanks!!!!!

Here is my dilemma - I'm not sure if *understanding* is enough. She is 9 years old and finally doing well, but relies so heavily on using her fingers, abacus, or math rods. She needs them for 6+1. She doesn't need help on HOW to do the problem, but computation isn't automatic. I could see that being an issue for say 7+4, but 6+1?? She also has huge issues when they change the format of the equation. She can easily figure out 40+30=70, but if they ask 70=40+?, then she is absolutely lost.

I have a 10 yo with the same issues, and he progresses more quickly when I micromanage his math. I suspect that if he were allowed to follow his own timetable, he'd make zero progress in math or reading or anything else. :tongue_smilie:

I know what you mean about not recognizing math problems when the format varies. When that happens, I make up worksheets with the different formats side by side for comparison so that he can see the similarities.

Understanding is my main goal for him, so I've let him use fact charts and a caculator to solve problems as he's progressed through learning the four operations, word problems, etc. By constantly referring to the charts to solve problems, he's memorized the facts, and no longer needs a chart except when estimating for division.

Like you, I have lots to do, and giving him charts has actually made math easier for him over time and enabled him to work more and more independently. :) So you might find it helpful to substitute charts for the rods, or at least combine them for a while, and hopefully this will help with fact memorization and speed.

I would guess she can't see quantities in her head. She can add them up or she can memorize them but she can't see either the numbers or the quantities in her mind. If she can bridge that gap of "seeing" either the numbers to do the problems in her head or the quantities I think she would take a huge step forward.

On Cloud Nine is a program that I am told works on this type of imagery. Given you have a math program that is working for you I personally would just look for the manual used and try to apply the ides to what you are already doing. I am doing the same thing with Seeing Stars, which is their program for "seeing" letters. I am applying it to what I already have by reading the manual which I found used for $25 instead of buying the whole program.

Heather

My ds10 STRUGGLES with math facts; everything but addition is a struggle for him, and we haven't even begun with division. He is dyslexic, and I never even thought that there might be a connection between that and his math struggles. THANK YOU for drawing it to my attention. :)

I'll eagerly read this thread for advice for my son as well as your dd.

My son had tons of trouble with math and math facts. Consequently, I have tried tons and tons of things to help him. I think two major obstacles were hindering his ability to master math facts: being able to "see" them in his head and having a crappy memory. Audiblox really helped--math involves patterns and sequences and my son was weak with both (to the extent that he could not reproduce a pattern sitting right in front of him). It has exercises that help with pattern recognition and long term memory. We did it extensively and after awhile he hated it. There are other programs out there that would probably be more fun that would also address these issues.

Another thing that might help is teaching fact families: 3 + 2 = 5, 2 + 3 = 5, 5 - 2 = 3, 5 - 3 = 2. That gets the child used to seeing the numbers together. We used triangle cards where all the numbers are on the front of a triangle.

We also did "air writing" so that he could better picture the numbers in his head. This is where you just write the number in the air in front of your eyes with your pointer finger so you can "see" it.

We did a lot of work with MathUSee manipulatives and an abacus. I did not let my child use a calculator since he would plug in the wrong numbers (69 for 96) and the wrong symbols (x for +), so it wasn't helpful for him at all.

We also do math in small chunks. If he is faced with a whole page of problems, he will get overwhelmed and make mistakes.

None of these were a quick fix and he will still make mistakes. He does better if he sees it, touches it, says it, then does it. That way he hears "times" and knows it isn't "plus" since his brain still sees the wrong sign sometimes.