Menu

How do you price books and curricula to sell?

I have a giant bookshelf staring at me. It's full of books and curricula I've bought during the past five years for my ds. I need my bookshelf back. :tongue_smilie:

How do you price books and curricula you want to sell? How do you ship?

If you've done this before, I'd be grateful if you'd share your experience. I've been putting this off for several years, but I've got to get proactive here.

I have a giant bookshelf staring at me. It's full of books and curricula I've bought during the past five years for my ds. I need my bookshelf back. :tongue_smilie:

How do you price books and curricula you want to sell? How do you ship?

If you've done this before, I'd be grateful if you'd share your experience. I've been putting this off for several years, but I've got to get proactive here.

I look at the cheapest price I can find for new (because a smart buyer will be doing the same) and then take half off the top. Then I add back a fourth if I've never used the curriculum and it is the current edition. The goal is to save the buyer a few bucks with shipping included. If the curriculum is used but in great condition I leave it at half off and add shipping to that. If the curriculum is an older edition, I bargain basement price it. Then I check the used boards, half.com and ebay to make sure my asking price is fair and how fast things have sold. If the item is particuarly attractive and expensive, like maybe a Rosetta Stone, I might put a slightly higher price on it because those things tend to get snatched up pretty fast. I don't like to be greedy. The best deal is when both parties feel like they got the better end of the bargain.

Barb

ETA: Forgot about the shipping question. Begin saving all the Amazon boxes, packing and padded envelopes you can get your hands on. When you post something, make sure it is already boxed up, packed well, weighed on a postage scale (I've had this one: Escali Primo Digital for years and love it), and a sticky note attached with the weight *before* you post. Saves so much last minute aggravation when you are selling many things at once. Then when someone pays you, you can either go to the post office, which is a pain, or you can print off prepaid labels from Paypal. I'm pretty sure you can't do prepaid media mail labels from the USPS site, so Paypal is the way to go.

Sign in to your account, click on merchant services, then Multi-order shipping. Turn off your popup blocker and click on it. In the new window, click on File, then Start New Orders. Then the rest is self explanatory. You don't have to go through Paypal or Ebay for the sales in order to use multi-order shipping.

Pay for your labels, print them off, attach them to the boxes and either drop them at the post office (usually no waiting required), hand them to your mail carrier, or if you have at least one Priority package you can click on 'schedule a pickup' on the USPS site for free. They won't allow you to schedule a pickup with nothing but media mail, unfortunately.

Let me know if anything is unclear. Hope this helps.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ