Menu

Help

wulfbourne

Sorry about this, I'm can't post more than a few characters at once. I'm looking for history help.

Does anyone have experience with the 6 year history cycle used at Simply Charlotte Mason?

http://simplycharlottemason.com/plan...ules-overview/

How about the 4 year history cycle? Any experiences with that?

Does anyone use SCM as a base, but change the history to a 4 year cycle? It seems like a pretty easy guide to play around with. This is what I was contemplating, but I was curious to get feedback.

I guess I'm mostly looking for history idea's in general :)

Knowing if you need history for grammar stage, logic stage, or both may help the answers. :)

We use a four year rotation. My grammar stage kids use Story of the World, fleshed out with what we can find at the local library. My logic stage kid uses the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia as his spine, again, fleshed out with what we find at the library. He has writing assignments that are pretty close to what's described in TWTM book.

Knowing if you need history for grammar stage, logic stage, or both may help the answers. :)

We use a four year rotation. My grammar stage kids use Story of the World, fleshed out with what we can find at the local library. My logic stage kid uses the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia as his spine, again, fleshed out with what we find at the library. He has writing assignments that are pretty close to what's described in TWTM book.

My oldest is about to turn three, so I'm still planning. :lol: I was looking at using SOTW for grammar stage as well, and I don't think I've thought to much past that. I just know I like the 4 year cycle much better than the 6 year outlined on SCM.

Basically, the plan I'm trying to come up with is a classical charlotte mason education with a heavy literature emphasis, if such a thing is possible or makes any sense :001_smile:

If you get the activity guides with the SotW books then you'll have a reading list all ready. Great books that correspond with where they are in their history studies :D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :001_smile:

I'm thinking about buying the combo packs form TWTM. I want to read through the book at my library first, but it's always checked out :glare:

I my opinion it really doesn't matter. :D

My goal is to follow the 4 year cycle, but history is not the highest priority around here and I strongly dislike skipping books or cutting just to stay on schedule. The result is that our first history cycle will end up taking us about 6 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd takes just as long.

There are advantages to doing a 4 year cycle, more repeat, different depths. For example my oldest will cover Ancients for the last time in 7th grade. She isn't ready for High School level material, so the depth will not be what it might have been if she were in 9th grade. I am OK with that.

Heather