Menu

CW Writing Project Question

jenn4

I have just started CW Aesop. I love it so far! Here is my question about the writing project:

When the child rewrites the model, should it be in their own words or is it okay to write the story verbatim?

I had dd10 and dd13 do the outline from The Tortoise and The Hare and then write the story. They each wrote their version of the story - keeping the exact same story line (from their outline) but changed the wording to be their speech. Example: The model says," Ha, I could dance 'round you all the way."

My daughter wrote, "Ha! Ha! Tortoise, you couldn't beat me in a million years." Is that okay????

Then, on the other hand, my dd8 did not do an outline. She just wrote down the story from her memory. It was the model, verbatim. Should I expect her to put it in her own words?

Just wondering. TIA, Jenn

The outlining is an important part of helping the student learn how to recognize key points in the story. The rewriting is a different skill of being able to paraphrase which will be necessary for reports and such as the student gets older. If my child was just rewriting it verbatim (even from memory), I would insist on the outlining and the rephrasing. Just memorizing the story does not show me that my child can recognize the main points, and definitely doesn't teach rephrasing. (I have a dd who would rather retell it verbatim.) A student's paraphrase can also show whether he understands what was originally written.

Edited by HiddenJewel

okay, thanks, HiddenJewel, that is what i wanted to know. I will just have dd8 do the outline with us next time.

Jenn:)

It is also OK, if the child wants to, to totally change the setting and characters. As long as they keep the same movement and moral. For example instead of a Tortoise and Hare they could have a Bear and a Mouse have an eating contest. My oldest loves to change things, my 2nd dd prefers a straight rewrite, just in her own words. Either is acceptable.

Heather

My son would also repeat the model verbatim if I were to allow it. I am so envious of his memory, but like a previous poster mentioned, it doesn't teach writing. So I do require him to write a key word outline. Now we are on the lesson in Homer that specifically teaches paraphrasing, so we are doing a slightly different skill: keeping the exact same meaning, but using synonyms and rephrasing. I do think your daughter got the right meaning, though, with her rewrite. In saying, "I could dance all around you the whole way," the hare is saying, "I could beat you very easily."

It sounds like it is going well for you!

Julie

I let mine tweak it as much as they want, so long as their version stays true to the moral and the order of the events. They use their own outline of the original version as their only reference while writing their rough draft.

My ds is one that likes to completely change the character and the settings. When he rewrote The Princess and the Pea it became Catwoman and the Crystal. Catwoman had to prove she was a real villain by stealing a particular crystal from a museum.