Menu

Tears during school - is it the same in PS?

The other day my oldest was waterbagging (in DH's words) over a fairly simple writing project. I told him I cannot imagine this happening in a school setting but maybe I am wrong. I know he was having an emotional day but he still has to do his work. Oldest ds can be very stubborn and when he has made up his mind that he doesn't want to do something he gets angry and the tears start flowing.

It was funny because when he FINALLY did the assignment I overheard him telling his brother that it was easy. (SIGH)

Any thoughts?

LOL It probably wouldn't happen in school but that's because it would be seen as stupid or babyish by the other kids and they'd let him know it, and the teacher(s), understandably, don't have time to deal with everyone's upsets. He may BE behaving childishly, but at home you can deal with it firmly AND sensitively, affirming that he is an intelligent kid who CAN do a great job. :)

will "let it all hang out" with the family. He would not do that in school. It's just the way it is.

For what it's worth, my highly emotional 2nd grader tried PS for a couple months earlier this past fall. She kept her emotions in check all day at school and then would fall apart each evening. I pulled her out when we realized that PS was getting the best of her and we were getting the worst.

Sometimes it really bothers me when he acts like that but I do try hard not to make him feel bad about it. Usually I ignore the tears but I also have to try hard to not getting sucked into doing his work just because he is upset.

This actually happened earlier this week and he had another writing assignment the next day and he did it completely by himself without a bit of complaining. I need to remember to affirm him for the good things too.

So it could have been those 10yo emotions.

I am friends with a local ps 2nd grade teacher. She was telling me that this year's class cries all the time. She says she will give an assignment and about half of them will start crying because they don't want to do it. My dd had her last year and she said that her class wasn't like that. So, yes, it does happen at ps, just maybe not as much as it does at home.

Sometimes it really bothers me when he acts like that but I do try hard not to make him feel bad about it. Usually I ignore the tears but I also have to try hard to not getting sucked into doing his work just because he is upset.

This actually happened earlier this week and he had another writing assignment the next day and he did it completely by himself without a bit of complaining. I need to remember to affirm him for the good things too.

So it could have been those 10yo emotions.

I'm not saying you can't train him out of it, though. Just that ps isn't nec. the answer.

I feel for ya. The tears drive. me. nuts. We take little breaks to "recompose" ourselves.