Menu

Where else besides Craig's List?

The economy forces us to sell one of our rental houses (single family detached, so could easily appeal to a future homeowner - not just an investor). I just put it on Craig's List but my mom mentioned hearing people use other sites - though can't remember them. Has anyone on here used a different site successfully (preferably free)?

It's in Hanover, PA if location makes a difference.

The only other place I can think of advertising is our local weekly classified paper. We really don't want to list with a realtor - we'd rather just lower the price for a future buyer. Is my thinking off on that?

Zillow.com, ebay, yahoo (I think) all have FSBO listings. If you're on location to be able to do the showings & paperwork, I see no reason not to at least try selling it w/o a Realtor. They are basically the marketers (I was one). You can do a lot with the 6% they'll charge, if you have the stamina for it. The rest is just making sure the paperwork is moving along in a timely fashion & that the surveys, title work, appraisals & inspections are done. The agents will be calling you as soon as they see the sign, so if you change your mind, you'll have options. BTW, you can ask if they'll handle the paperwork end for a reduced (1-3%) fee. You still do the showings & marketing, they handle the paper.

When we sold our home in MI our realtor said most calls on houses come from the sign in the yard. We've tried to sell our rental every time a tenant moves out (we've always found a renter before a buyer) and the sign is the number one way I get calls. It will help you a lot to make up a fact sheet with pictures of the inside, price, size, ect to put out front of the home. The fact sheet will keep you from just getting calls about the price. I can always tell when the box is out of the fact sheets because I get more calls asking for details. We also have it listed on zillow, but I've never gotten a call from that. Good luck

Melissa

Many thanks for the ideas - I will get on the 'fact sheets' and get them out tomorrow. That's a really good idea! Meanwhile, I'll look at Zillow and the others.

Craig's List has been ideal for us for renting the place, but so far, the only inquiries have been wondering if we could rent to own - we can't. If we could, our current tenants would want to buy it. In general, I'm bummed that we have to sell it, but such is life.

Just wanted to add a thanks as Zillow is the site my mom's friend sold her place from - she just couldn't remember the name and I had never heard of it before. We have our place listed now - neat site - and free is always good! Now we just have to hope it - or the sign/fact sheets - work!