Menu

Queens for Science....Any Users?

Honey Bee

I have been looking for a gentle fun science for my Prek, K, and 1st grader. I have recently looked at Sonlight K, World Around Me Winterpromise, Noeo, Real Science, and 106 days of creation (simplycharlottemanson.com) among others. I've looked at Apologia, but I think we still need to wait a year to get more out of it.

We will finish up Chrisitan Liberty Press Science K book this semester, but I can't find what I want for next semester. I really want a curriculum with living books. I don't consider Usborne living books, hence my problem with WP and Sonlight. I like the other aspects of their curriculum, but just too many Usborne books as the years go on. The front runner is probably "106 days of Creation," but I looked at my Queen magazine last night and got excited. I dont have any of these books, and I'm wondering if you have used any of these books or living books studies. I am using Vol 1 of Language lessons with my preschooler this year and we are enjoying it. Here is the progression from the back of the catalog as seen in the packs (I am considereing that "Pack A" is about prek):

PreK - The Story Book of Science by Jean Henri-Fabre

Kinder - Animal Life in Field and Garden

1st - The Story Book of Birds and Beasts

1st - A Nature Walk With Aunt Bessie

2nd - Mary's Meadow

2nd - Oakie of the Oak Tree (Living Book Study)

2nd - Daniil the Triceratops (Living Book Study)

3rd - "Animal Autobiography" Series by Jane Fielding

4th - Parables from Nature

4th - My Nature Journal

5th - Little House on the Prarie Study Guide (Living Book Study)

5th - Misty of Chincoteague (Living Book Study)

6th - My Side of the Mountain (Living Book Study)

6th - Pagoo (Living Book Study)

7th - Lost in the Barrens (Lving Book Study)

Any PROS or CONS? Thoughts?

Thanks for your time. This board has given me such an education. I know that I could not be the homeschool mom without you! I have learned so much since being here. I sincerely thank you!

I was a little hesitant and decided to purchase just one book to see how we liked it. We just completed Pagoo and we LOVED it and ds learned so much!! I even learned a ton!! :tongue_smilie:My ds enjoyed this book immensely and likes to read it over and over again.....which is not like him at all. We are definitely hooked!

I don't see anything wrong with using them and doing nature study all those yrs, but I would think by 6th grade you will be wanting to do something more than nature study. Sandi Queen herself said she wasn't preparing her kids to be doctor's or engineers. I think if you want to prepare your kids do do well in the sciences then at about jr high then you need to start introducing more traditional sciences. If you want to continue nature study along with the formal courses I think that would be great. I'm now curious about these guides too. Ds is a science nut and we go through science curriculum very quickly. So now I'm thinking we can do one of these guides in the spring when we've finished our science for the yr. I guess make it hald a yr traditional science and half the yr nature study.

If you want to continue nature study along with the formal courses I think that would be great.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. These seem really gentle yet lots of meaty reading. Fun, but not "formal." I'm pretty sure we will go with Apologia next year, but these look like good science reading!