Menu

Reading Issues: Can read, but slowly, speech issues, too

Hi There,

I have a friend who doesn't get on the computer much, and so I'm kinda writing in for her:-)

She has an 11 year old son who can read, but very slowly. By the time he gets to the end of the sentence, he can still remember the first. (even though it seems like it's so long you'd think he would have lost the first of the sentence.)

He also can not say his "r's" and is pretty much thought of as non verbal and shy. (He can talk, he just doesn't)

Any suggestions? Sound like any of your children?

He should be in 6th grade, age wise. He is understanding how grammar works.

I know I've seen several reading programs for different issues. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

Hi There,

I have a friend who doesn't get on the computer much, and so I'm kinda writing in for her:-)

She has an 11 year old son who can read, but very slowly. By the time he gets to the end of the sentence, he can still remember the first. (even though it seems like it's so long you'd think he would have lost the first of the sentence.)

He also can not say his "r's" and is pretty much thought of as non verbal and shy. (He can talk, he just doesn't)

Any suggestions? Sound like any of your children?

He should be in 6th grade, age wise. He is understanding how grammar works.

I know I've seen several reading programs for different issues. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

He sounds like he needs an evaluation. The combination of slow reading and speech issues sounds has a high probability of being dyslexia. That combined with excessively nonverbal and shy would also make me wonder about some broader diagnoses as well. At age 11, the mom really needs to know exactly what she is dealing with to provide him the best help possible.

The local public school will often do testing for free if the parent writes a letter to the director of the exceptional children's program stating that she suspects the child has a specific learning disability. You can usually get at least a free WISC-IV (an IQ test--around $1000 if given privately) and some kind of individual achievement test like the Woodcock Johnson. She can then take those results to a neuropsychologist or educational psychologist in the area for additional testing.

At age 11, you really don't want to fool around anymore with trial and error. If he does have dyslexia, at his age, I'd get a tutor to get him really gaining ground, learn from the tutor, and then work at home with him. Look for a Phonographix tutor, or an Orton-Gillingham or Wilson tutor.