Menu

Can someone tell me what are the most imp math topics to cover in Grade 5?

dancer67

What are the top important things a child should know in Grade 5 Math, before going to grade 6??

I know there is "fluff" in lots of Math books.

We have your basic operations of course. Addition, subtraction, division, and subtraction.

Then we have fractions/decimals/percents.

Do we really have to go over estimating, roman numerals, place value over and over and over again every year?? There just seems like there is so much "stuff" in Math books that we/they may not ever use.

What do you feel is the most important thing a child should know in Grade 5? Well, besides "everything".

I hope that question made sense??

Singapore is heavy on fractions/decimals/percents/ratio, some geometry, and 2 -3 step word problems. Go to their website and you can click on the table of contents for books 5A and 5B (primary math US edition).

There isn't anything covered on Roman numerals although it is useful to know for outlining in writing. Place value and rounding off are important when working with decimals and later with scientific notation. Many problems in higher grades will have you give an answer to a certain place value. One thing that isn't covered in 5th grade Singapore but is taught at the end of 5th grade here in the public schools is negative numbers.