Menu

Southwest FLorida?

rhrice3

Ladies,

We have just moved to Naples, Collier County, Florida. We moved from Knoxville, TN where it was easy to register your kids with the county school system and they required little until high school.

It seems that I am just to make a statement of intent with a form and then chose how I want them to monitor my 4th grader - a portfolio, standardized test, etc? Is anyone familiar with all this?

Thanks

ReneeR

Hi Renee,

You just file an intent to homeschool form right now. You do not have to choose how to evaluate your child at this time. Within 12 months of filing your intent to homeschool form you must supply the school board with a portfolio review from a certified teacher, a signed form that states your child took a nationally/Florida standardized test or an evaluation if you feel neither of the other two options are viable (for children with special needs.) And you continue to supply either the test form or portfolio review (or evaluation) every 12 months thereafter. You can choose any of the options each year.

Welcome to Florida!

~Melissa

Hi:

We are in S. FL as well and it is very easy as Melissa said. I chose to have my son tested through a homeschooling group (they are abundant her - I am in Broward county) and sent in the results. I believe, if things have not changed, that you are also required to keep 2 years of schoolwork available for review. That is it! Welcome to Florida.

Blessings,

Lisa