Menu

? for Abbeyej, Jenn the RD, & others supplementing Horizons w/ Singapore

Annabel Lee

Ok, I did search for my answer before making a new thread out of this. :D

I'm using Horizons and want to supplement w/ Singapore math (SM is the abbreviation, right? Let's pretend it is.) for both of my sons. If I am only supplementing with it, will I need the HIGs? I want to add Singapore Math because my guys like to "play with numbers", figure out math ideas further than they've been formally taught, and I think they'd really enjoy it. I also want to expose them to more ways of thinking about how to solve equations. With those intentions in mind, do I need the HIGs?

I get the HIGs because there is some explanation of the Singapore method and I think I failed my older two in that area, I'd often fall back on the way I do it. Also the HIG has games my son really enjoys. It's a pricey hand to hold (relatively speaking) especially since I don't need the answer key at my son's level and I don't need the daily schedule.

Arcticmom,

You'll probably get differing views on this question. For me, the HIG's for 2A-6B are essential because of the way that SM teaches. The textbook does a good job of teaching to the child, but the HIG offers you more depth. That has been very helpful for my 2 dc. For instance, I remember when long division was introduced, the HIG gave all the divisibility rules (which I didn't even know, LOL!). That info was not in the student textbook. I had my dd write them all down on index cards to learn them.

To me, the two key things I have learned using the HIGs are 1) learning how to solve word problems using bars, lines, and various models & drawings & 2) developing mental strategies to solve problems. I was never taught this way. Without the HIG and it's solutions, I'm not sure I would've presented the information in the same way.

Here's what is included:

1. HIG A for each grade gives a schedule for the 1st 18 weeks of school and B gives the 2nd 18 weeks of school--so you have a pre-made schedule.

2. Each lesson from the textbook gives a thorough explanation in how to present the concepts. This includes example problems, how to think through the problem using mental strategies, use of manipulatives, & even games.

3. The answers for the textbook questions are included with each lesson.

4. There are solutions & answers for both the textbook and workbook.

5. There are mental math worksheets with answers for extra practice.

6. There are also paper manipulatives such as game boards, fraction equivalents, fraction patterns, decimal number lines, etc.

HTH. Let me know, if you have other questions.

Jennifer:)