Menu

Confused about WWE and narrations

dmrranch

I have read the book, WWE, Strong Fundamentals, and have given my 9yo and 13 yo some writing evaluations. I've been working on finishing TWTM. Now, I have questions...

1) With the 9 yo, I will be working through WWE 2 to iron out some trouble spots. If I understand TWTM correctly, I will still have her write narration/notebook pages for history and Reading in addition to her assignments in WWE 2. On pg. 217, for 3rd grade (she's really a 3 1/2 grader ;)) for history it states, "ask the child to tell you what you'vejust read; make noebook pages together for the history notebook. The child should be doing his own writing now." However, if I understood the WWE book correctly, I shouldn't have her "writing" until she is further down the road. So, I'm a little confused here. In my mind, I was going to use the WWE book and pull in my own passages for narration and dictation using literature, history, and poetry she is already reading. That was going to be her writing. If we did something in history, that would go in her history notebook. If it was from one of her "Reading" books, it would go behind her Reading section. But, then I wouldn't have anything left for her Writing section unless I put the sample week work there. Or, if it was work not tied to any history/literature we were reading. On the other hand, I could put all of her WWE work in the writing section. Make narration pages for Reading and History IN ADDITION TO the WWE assignments and adjust for her skills by helping her with the writing. Am I missing something here?

2) The 13 yo looks to be narrating just fine. However, we will be working on dictation using the WWE book because of the results from the writing evaluation I did with her. (I knew I needed to before I read the book. So, this was confirmation for me.)

Anyway, as we're doing this, should I continue on with logic stage type writing in History and Reading. Again, if I read the WWE book correctly, I really need to finish with the skills presented in the WWE book first before entering logic stage writing. What do you think???

Thank you for clearing up this confused mind :001_huh:!

I don't have answers for all your questions, but I can point you to a thread here called "All WWE threades merged here" (or something like that). You can do a search for WWE and it should come up.

As for your question on whether to do both WWE and the narrations/writing for history and literature - that used to confuse me as well. I asked Susan in the thread mentioned above and she answered it. I've already forgotten the answer as I am continually going in circles in my head about this. I will go look it up since I need the answer too. :)

Found it! To search the thread, it's titled "The Complete Writer: Writing With Ease (WWE)--All Separate Threads Merged Here". Here's the specific Q&A we were looking for, starting with my question and then SWB's answer:

"Well that makes sense to me. So much so, that I've been tempted to just toss the idea of using a WWE workbook for level 3 when we get there, and just use passages from our content subjects. It's the WWE workbook that throws me into this confusion. It's convenient and all done for me, which I love, love, love. But, it does add an extra subject to our schoolday by having a separate subject for writing.

I'm working with grammar stage kiddos, so there's not any outlining being done yet. WWE (the workbook) covers the copywork, narration, narration/dictation, and dictation in that order over 4 days - but on literature passages that we aren't using anywhere else in our studies.

I just realized that I should restate my question: If one is using the WWE *workbooks*, then are they supposed to practice all those skills again in content subjects as well? That would double the amount of work required of the child. Or is the child supposed to be first doing those within a separate writing program and then also using them on content subjects?

If I were just using the WWE textbook, it wouldn't be an issue for me. I would just use passages from the kids' sci., hist., and lit. It just looks like a ton of work trying to find specific literary and grammatical elements as WWE suggests, esp. when I limit the text options to the kids' content subjects.

arcticmomView Public ProfileSend a private message to arcticmomFind all posts by arcticmomAdd arcticmom to Your Contacts

#

410 report.gif

post_old.gif 05-24-2009, 03:06 AM

avatar4_1.gifSusan Wise Bauer user_offline.gif

The Overmind

icon1.gif

If you're using the workbook, you would absolutely cut down on the number of narrations you're doing in history/science/lit. You wouldn't want to eliminate them, because they have value for those subjects, but you wouldn't want to double the child's workload.

Not to work myself out of a sale but I think it's ideal to use the WWE textbook and do what it says WITH your history/lit/science. Writing should be something, in the best case scenario, that's taught along with the other subjects in the curriculum. But it does take both time and ease with the process, which is why we publish the workbooks.

If it helps, I'm using the workbooks with DD8 and doing less in history/lit/science. Yes, it would be ideal to only use passages from history/lit/science. But I did all the research and prep already in the workkbook and don't really want to do it all again. Plus, this way my husband can help out with the writing instruction too. :001_smile:"

ETA I'm printing this portion out so that when I forget what I'm supposed to be doing (how does that happen?), I can just look over at where I'm going to tack it to the wall and see the answer!

Thank you sooooo much for typing that out for me.

I have done so many searches about so many things I didn't remember seeing this answer. I do remember this thread but thought it mainly pertained to ? about the workbooks coming out. There were a lot of threads in that one so I must have overlooked this.

Maybe my answer to ? about 13 yo is there, also... 9 yo is just about cleared up!! Do you put your papers in the NB like I mentioned above...if it's history it goes there, etc, but if doesn't fit history/lit/science goes behind writing??

Thanks again...

Anyone else dealing with 13 yo coming into WWE?? and my question above??

should I continue on with logic stage type writing in History and Reading. Again, if I read the WWE book correctly, I really need to finish with the skills presented in the WWE book first before entering logic stage writing. What do you think???

Well, I had ds start learning to outline last year, even as he was still working on dictation via WWE. I still have him do dictation, even now, every couple of weeks.