Menu

Vocabulary from the Roots Up Grade 4?

CarolynD

We use Wordly Wise and my daughter doesn't like all of the writing involved. I'm thinking of purchasing Vocab. from the Roots Up Grade 4. Has anyone used this? If so, would you recommend buying the next grade up? I can only find a sample of Grade 5 online.

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

We use Vocabulary from classical roots and love it. We used to use Wordly Wise as well but the kids hated it. They liked the jokes and puzzles but the rest of the book caused nothing but frustration. Also they were not retaining anything they learned from it. The new words did not show up in their writing or general use.

We switched to Vocab from Classical Roots last year and it was a huge success. The lower grades (the books with numbers) are very easy to grade without an answer key. They are very easy for the kids to complete and the kids love them! But the best thing is they really work. The kids are excited about learning new words now and they are much better at putting their new words to use. My dh also teaches the kids Latin so it is also very helpful in showing how their Latin skills can help them better understand their own language.

The older grades (the letter books) are much more challenging but still never become frustrating. They are very in depth without requiring any busywork. You can order answer keys and test booklets with them. I recommend both. After every 2 regular lessons there are review lessons which allow the student to put the new words he or she has learned into use. It is a brief yet thorough review that is not overwhelming for the student but will allow you to see how well the new vocabulary was learned. The test booklet is also helpful. A test is given after every two lessons. It is a fill in the bubble 20 question test. I use it as a closed book test.

I really like how the books teach how to decipher and figure out new words rather then just memorizing a list. And they make it fun!

We really love this series here. I would recommend starting with book 4 and if you want you could let your dd work through it on a slightly faster track then move her to book 5. This would start her with understanding the more common roots, prefixes and suffixes, and allow her to build from there.

The roots, prefixes and suffixes list (not the word list) for grade 4 is:

act

-ate

capt

class

deli

dis-

eas

-er/-est

famil

fin

-ful