Menu

Question for Puppy Breeders

We just brought home a new puppy last Friday (9-4) at 6 pm. When we first brought him home, he was a great pup! Playful, sleepy, etc - everything a puppy should be.

Last night, I noticed that the puppy was just "not right", droopy. He did cough a few times and that was all. I decided to take the pup to vet last night first thing in the morning. I got a 10 appt. Took him in and dr diagnosed bronchitis. Came home and at 2pm, puppy was WORSE! So I took him back in and now puppy is on IV through the night. :sad:

So I contacted the breeder to let her know what was going on... She is insisting that it did not come from her home.

Obviously, we will continue treatment. But as a breeder, does she have some responsiblity? What if something happens to him overnight?

I know that I maybe overacting but we are so sad and worried.

Any advice?:bigear:

Thanks!

Oh how sad.

The last breeder I bought from insisted on a vet exam within 48 hours of the puppy's arrival at home; that way if we brought a sick puppy home, we would (all) know it immediately. And the contract specified what the breeder would do if the puppy wasn't healthy.

Without such a contract (or at least an ethical breeder willing to do the right thing without one), you're probably on your own for this.

If the puppy dies (and I really hope not!) within a couple of weeks of coming home with you, I would *ask* the breeder for a replacement puppy; but you have no way to enforce that. And, you might not want another one of her puppies anyway.

I'm really sorry.