Menu

Pavlik Harness anyone?

My first two children had hip dysplasia. My daughter wore a rhino cruiser at night and during naps for 2 months. Her hip had more of a shallow socket. My son's hip was much worse and he was put in a pavlik harness when he was 5 days old. He wore it for 6 weeks. We weren't allowed to take it off for anything. He got sponge baths for 6 weeks. He peed on it....several times. I strategically fabreezed it.

It looks like an awful contraption, but babies (especially young ones like yours) don't care. The only problems we had were just minor inconveniences. Diaper changes required a little more work. I wasn't supposed to push his left hip in. So, it was a little complicated nursing him on my right side. We managed. I let him wear onsies that were a size too big so I could snap them.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Hip dysplasia (I'm assuming that this is what your baby may have) can usually be easily fixed at a young age. My son still hasn't been released from the orthopedic doctor. He has to have another xray when he's five years old. The doctor says his hips looks good but there are still some minor issues. He thinks that everything will be fine with a little bit of growth and thinks that he'll probably release him after his next xray.

Our dd had the rhino full-time for about 2 months then the pavlik full-time (we could remove it for diaper changes) until she was just shy of 1yo and then at night for about another year. As Amy mentioned, it takes a little getting used to to change diapers around it, and it can be awkward finding clothes to fit your little paratrooper's gear (that's what they look like in the rhino, anyway). I found just using a onesie or a t-shirt and bare diapers worked best. You also have to nurse in some odd positions, but you get used to that rather quickly.

Our biggest problem with the pavlik was when our dd became mobile. She figured out how to take it off! She would wedge herself between the support and ladder of the bunk bed and pop herself out like a cork! We solved this by buying lengths of velcro to make pavlik suspenders then putting a giant onesie over everything to keep her from take the suspenders off. Then she just figured out how to walk with it on.

You may want to ask if you can take it off for diaper changes, how to handle heat rash under the harness, how often you have to have it adjusted (our orthopedic taught me how to do minor adjustments myself), and how to clean it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Edited by Tutor
typos

it can be awkward finding clothes to fit your little paratrooper's gear (that's what they look like in the rhino, anyway).

We always thought our son looked like a hockey goalie in his pavlik. We bought him a little Carolina Hurricanes outfit. I have a couple of pics in this old post on my blog:

http://barefootinthepark.wordpress.com/2009/04/11/following-foundations-41009/

My 2 week old will most likely have to wear one. What kinds of questions should I ask the Orthopedist on Friday?

My daughter, who is now 27, wore a Pavlik Harness. She was born with bi-lateral hip dysplasia and wore it for 6 months.

My one concern are the x-rays. Mind you, this was 27 years ago, but we had to go in every couple of months and have her hips x-rayed. I don't know if they use x-rays anymore -- perhaps there is a safer way to monitor this now. If they still use x-rays, you want to be sure that your child has as few as possible. Be proactive on this.

Once she was fitted for the harness, she had to wear it day and night. I only removed her feet from the little stirrups for baths and diaper changes. It was heartbreaking for me. And every minute I let her little legs free was a source of angst and guilt. I cried a lot. It did not appear to bother her at all. She never cried or fussed when I put the harness back on.

After six months, her hips were perfectly formed and aligned and it was over. The doctor told me that her walking might be delayed and not to worry about it. A couple of days after that, she stood up in her crib, took a look around, and fell on her fanny. She was walking without assistance at 8 months.

Babies just kick their little legs around with no resistance. My daughter spent six months pushing down on the stirrups. She had very strong legs.

Her hips never bothered her again. It's a non-issue and we go years without thinking or talking about it. I'm glad I happened on this thread and was able to share my experience.

Let us know what the doctor says on Friday.

Thank you all for sharing your stories.

His right hip seems to be ok, the left hip has less than 50%... what did he call it... my mind is blank...

They use ultrasound to check the hips. The radiologist said that xrays wouldn't do any good at this age because the hips are still forming and you would only be able to see bits and pieces of the hips. So no worries about that! :)

I haven't cried yet... that will probably come when they strap him in the first time.

And I'm not nursing...

I'm glad to hear that it doesn't bother them much,and luckily he won't remember even if it did. It's just heartbreaking to think about my little guy in that thing.

The Ped reassured me several times that since it was found this early that it's not going to be an issue later in life. I'm very very happy about that!!

I've been lurking on this thread and want to thank you all for the stories and pictures, too. I just had to call yesterday to make an appointment for an u/s and orthopedic consult for my five-day old daughter for the same thing. At her appointment yesterday, her ped was able to pop her left hip in and out easily. :crying:

Our appointment isn't until the end of September (they didn't want to schedule it until she was three weeks old) so I shouldn't be worrying about it already. I'm not sure it helped to see the pictures but at least I won't be completely shocked if she needs to wear it.

Our appointment isn't until the end of September (they didn't want to schedule it until she was three weeks old)

My Ped wanted it done as soon as possible. Baby was 6 days when Ped discovered it and he was 10 days at the ultrasound. He will be 17 days when we see the Orthopedist.

CONGRATS on the baby, btw! :D

My Ped wanted it done as soon as possible. Baby was 6 days when Ped discovered it and he was 10 days at the ultrasound. He will be 17 days when we see the Orthopedist.

We completely skipped the ultrasound with our son. Since his hip was popping in and out of place at birth, the orthopedist just put him straight in the harness. He had his first xray at 6 weeks.

For Janet and Audrey (and anyone else lurking that may be facing this): it's going to be okay. I know it looks awful, but it isn't. The babies really don't care. Be thankful that the problem was discovered early. Some doctors don't know how to do those hip exams (i've had this experience more than once) and they miss it. And then it's more of a pain to fix it later. There are babies born with much more serious problems. I'm not trying to trivialize anything, but I've been there and it helps to keep that perspective. It's going to be okay.

:grouphug:

it's going to be okay. I know it looks awful, but it isn't. The babies really don't care. Be thankful that the problem was discovered early. Some doctors don't know how to do those hip exams (i've had this experience more than once) and they miss it. And then it's more of a pain to fix it later. There are babies born with much more serious problems. I'm not trying to trivialize anything, but I've been there and it helps to keep that perspective. It's going to be okay.

Thank you... and I truly do understand this... I've just NEVER had ANY problems of ANY kind with the other 4 kids, so lots of dr appts and such is completely new to me.

I am highly thankful that it's something that was found early AND very easily treatable.

Congrats to you also! My pediatrician was going to check on the waiting three weeks. He had never heard of waiting that long. It was the ultrasound department at our children's hospital that made the statement that they normally wait three weeks. My ped wondered if it was to give the joint time to tighten up - I guess the same hormones that loosen up joints/bones for delivery in the mother affect the baby and sometimes these problems can clear up as the hormones leave the baby's sytem. That was his best guess.

We completely skipped the ultrasound with our son. Since his hip was popping in and out of place at birth, the orthopedist just put him straight in the harness. He had his first xray at 6 weeks.

For Janet and Audrey (and anyone else lurking that may be facing this): it's going to be okay. I know it looks awful, but it isn't. The babies really don't care. Be thankful that the problem was discovered early. Some doctors don't know how to do those hip exams (i've had this experience more than once) and they miss it. And then it's more of a pain to fix it later. There are babies born with much more serious problems. I'm not trying to trivialize anything, but I've been there and it helps to keep that perspective. It's going to be okay.

:grouphug:

Thanks so much for your perspective and encouragement.

I was born with hip displaysia in 1963. In spite of some obvious walking problems at age 1, I was never diagnosed. One pediatrician put me in streight laced shoes, what ever those are. I have no idea why. Anyway, my right hip started causing me pain by age 25. I toughed it out for many years until my total hip replacement at age 38, 1 year after my last DC was born.

She too, was born with hip displaysia. She was into her pavlik by day 2. We knew to look for it of course. She wore it 23 hours a day for 6 weeks and nights only for 6 more weeks. She had ultrasound rechecks every 2 months till age 18 months when she was declared to have normal hips! Yeah! We took her harness off for a bath only and then put it right back on. It was strange to us, but normal for her. It was a simple little blip in her life that she will never remember. It never caused her any discomfort.

To tell you the truth, I put that harness on her everytime with a HUGE smile on my face. I KNEW she would never experience the pain I had been through and was overwhelmed with gratitude that the condition she had was 100% curable and that she was going to be fine! At the same time, by girlfriend's son was in an ICU with a much more devastating genetic disorder that required him to have many surgeries. Attitude is everything. Don't you dare cry about this! You are so very lucky (blessed) that this is all your baby has....she's going to be fine! Yay!

My dd had hip dysplasia as well. Diagnosed about 5 minutes after she was born. She was first-born, female, and breech. These are the top risk factors, so they knew to look.

It's SO important to have this diagnosed and treated ASAP. Right now their bones are basically soft cartilage. They are easy to mold and fix right now. Once they harden into bone, it is MUCH more difficult to fix. My cousin's daughter wasn't diagnosed until she was 15 months old. She had to be in a FULL BODY CAST for 8 weeks. Can you imagine???

I found this site very helpful: http://www.hip-baby.org/

My dd could have cared less. I just was mad because she couldn't wear all the adorable newborn outfits people had given me! She wore plain white onsies under the harness (some ped-orthos won't let you put anything underneath the harness. I think that's silly. My doc is VERY highly regarded in his field, the best in Raleigh, and he said there is no reason to have that harness right on their skin). She also wore plain socks in the "boots" of the harness.

One thing, though. With the whole "back to sleep" thing, you might have issues. The harness makes the baby's legs sort of hang in mid-air when they're on their backs. It's not very comfortable. DD slept in her infant carrier a lot because it supported her legs on the side. We ended up buying this swing. She slept in it for the first few months. It was the best money ever spent. I was worried about her transitioning out of it and into a crib later on, but that ended up being no big deal.

They will use X-rays, but they can shield her uterus during the X-ray. To be honest, there is less radiation in an X-ray than in many things you walk past every day.

Thank the Lord they diagnosed it so quickly; she'll be fine!

The baby gets fitted for his harness today. The orthopedist seems to think he may only need it for a few weeks. He goes for an ultrasound on Oct 1 and sees the orthopedist again on Oct 7.

Audrey, I just wanted to say that you're brave to share all of this with us. It must be overwhelming if this is your first time dealing with it, like you said.

I've never even heard of hip displaysia. I can imagine that if my newborn were diagnosed with it, I'd be overwhelmed, too. But, on the other had, you can be grateful that it's an issue that is so easily resolved, you know?

Blessings to you and your little one. :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this today - so glad you are "velcro" free. Our little one is still in her's at least until the 24th of November and then will probably have to wear it half-time for at least another month. We all enjoyed one day of freedom last week because I got permission to wash it and since it had to drip dry, we got to cuddle without all the straps in the way.

we got to cuddle without all the straps in the way.

I was allowed to take his off to bathe him everyday... now since I didn't bathe him *every* day, I did still have 10-15 minutes of no harness everyday... and I didn't let my husband hold him!! :D

Praying that everything goes well!

Oh, we can take it off for baths also, but I "try" not to stretch that time out too far. There's usually a contest as to who gets a quick cuddle after bath time. It's amazing how much cuddlier she is without the Pavlik. I'm really looking forward to the next u/s because they are pretty sure she'll be able to just wear it at night after that. Two more weeks . . .