Menu

Latin Question

diaperjoys

Many Latin programs for early elementary seem to target families with zero Latin background. My husband and I were both blessed to receive 2 years of Latin in college (and another 2 years of Greek). We're nowhere near fluent in Latin, but we shouldn't need anything that laboriously explains every detail of the basics. It doesn't bother me to have the basics spelled out either; but if there is something great on the market that requires a little background we should be good to go.

So...what Latin program would ya'll recommend in this scenario?? Our oldest is just 6, but he's reading well - i.e. Boxcar children, Little House, so I'm thinking of letting him start Latin within the next year or so.

I'm in the same boat as you. I was a classics major in college so I took lots of Latin and Greek. The curriculum that I think you would enjoy is Minimus by Cambridge. It has kids reading Latin from day one, and I think a little background in Latin definitley helps. It will also be perfect for your son's age. It is recommended for 7 yos.

Many Latin programs for early elementary seem to target families with zero Latin background. My husband and I were both blessed to receive 2 years of Latin in college (and another 2 years of Greek). We're nowhere near fluent in Latin, but we shouldn't need anything that laboriously explains every detail of the basics. It doesn't bother me to have the basics spelled out either; but if there is something great on the market that requires a little background we should be good to go.

So...what Latin program would ya'll recommend in this scenario?? Our oldest is just 6, but he's reading well - i.e. Boxcar children, Little House, so I'm thinking of letting him start Latin within the next year or so.

I think you'd love Minimus too. There are two volumes, Minimus: Starting Out in Latin and Minimus Secundus: Moving On In Latin. There's a teacher's manual, which has some extra activities, but you're not likely to need the translations, so you would need to decide if you wanted the reproducible worksheets or not. The manual generally has good resale value. There are two sets of additional Mini-Books as well. http://minimus-etc.co.uk/minibookpage/minibooks.htm and http://minimus-etc.co.uk/minibookpage/secondminibooks.htm You could also add in Marie Bolchazy's and Rose William's books series, "I Am Reading Latin" and "I Am Reading Latin Stories." You could follow up with anything you want, depending on what your Latin language philosophy is. For reading based programs, Cambridge and Ecce are great, Lingua Latina is an immersion course. If you prefer the grammar-based series, you could certainly do Prima Latina/Latina Christiana or Latin for Children, and with your background, you probably wouldn't need the DVDs. Another good traditional series is the Great Latin Adventure.

Edited by latinteach

I think any program that suits your child's age/abilities/learning style and aligns with your teaching style would work. You can always just skip the teacher's manual. :) We use Lively Latin; and although I don't use the answer keys, the materials are quite appropriate for my ds (10).

I would recommend gearing your Latin program toward your son's background and not yours. Even though you have had Latin, you did not take Latin as a six year old. Something that starts at the beginning and has explanations appropriate for your son's age would be great for him AND easier for you to teach.

Tara

Hi,

I would highly recommend Latin's Not So Tough for your first grader. He can do the first two levels mostly independently with you monitoring. We have completed both books since school began 6 weeks ago with my 9th grade dgd. I have let her go at her own speed and she scored 100 on the final exam for Level 2 today. I added derrivatives for her which you wouldn't want to do yet for a 6 year old. We will be finished with all but level 6 by Christmas.

I taught Latin in Middle School for many years and I love this program. I will begin soon with my dgs who is 8. You wouldn't need to buy the teacher's or answer keys or pronunciation CD just student text . He should be able to complete half the two year course by the end of this year. We will complete all 6 levels which is suppose to be equivalent to 2 years of high school Latin. He will love being able to do most of it on his own. Lots of practice exercises to reinforce the learning after each lesson. Flash cards in back of each book or you can buy them on a ring pre-made.

I have read some negative on this forum about this program but I have taught a Glencoe secular program for years and didn't like it and I love, love, love this for all ages. Older students just zoom faster in it. I hope Mrs. Moh develops level 7 before we finish 6 this year. If not, we will probably just do translation next year, maybe The Iliad in Latin? Dgd loves it also, I forgot to say. She had one year of French in middle PS and now she can connnect the dots between the French and Latin. Vocab study today she was able to define verdant from her Latin and French and she had never incountered the word before. Whoo hoo!

I hope this is helpful.