Menu

Classical Conversations

Gamom3

Can someone explain to me what this is exactly. I thought it was just for memorization. When talking with a mom today, she said it was a 1 day class that covers everything and then she started telling me the curriculum they use.

She also mentioned that for 7th grade it would run me about $1000+ dollars and that is just for 1 child!

If I was going to use this for memorization only. What do I purchase? Do I have to purchase the curriculum that they use?

When I went to the site I only see one thing that I would be using which is Apologia and maybe IEW.

I just don't understand this.

Classical Conversations offers three basic program that you may choose for your kids: Foundations, Essentials, and the Challenge programs (A,B,1,2,3,4).

Foundations is targetted for kids in grades 1-6. It's focus is memory work. In addition to the memory work they also do a science lab, a fine arts lesson, and a student presentation. There is also a family presentation time (one family per wk). The memory work consists of one history sentence, one science question/answer, latin, math, English grammar, 8 Timeline cards/US Presidents, and a Bible verse. They meet once a week for 24 weeks. Class time is from 9:00am to 12:00pm plus 1/2hr lunch and 1/2hr recess. The fine arts breaks down as follows: 6wks drawing, 6wks tin whistle, 6wks art history, 6 wks music theory/history. The Bible studied is a whole chapter like Eph 6:1-24, taken by verse throughout the year. The Timeline is a chronological order of the Vertitas Press timeline cards, 8per week. This takes 20 weeks. The last 4 weeks that time is spent on memorizing the US Presidents. Math and timeline/presidents are the same each year. The rest change with each 'Cycle'. Foundations offers 3 cycles. For example the Cycle 1 history sentences focus on the first 1/2 of history, Cycle 2 covers the 2nd 1/2 of history, and Cycle 3 focuses on American History. You'll need their Foundations Guide to know what it covered each week. The tutors are trained and paid. They introduce the material to the kids with the goal of getting it into short term memory. The parents MAY then review and/or teach more on the subject at home. The only other homework is to prep for the 3 min presentation (show N tell for the younger ones). This class does not account for all a kid needs to cover for those years.

Essentials is for grades 3 or 4 -6. It meets after Foundations from 1:00-3:00pm. It focuses on English grammar, writing via IEW, some spelling and some math. I'm not as familiar with this one... but you will need to have their Essential Guide so you know what's being covered in class and what the homework is. Yes this one has homework.

Challenge is for Jr and Sr. High School. It is a complete program, no supplementing needed. They meet for more weeks then the other two programs, I think it's 33 weeks but I'm not sure. They also meet for a full day. You may opt out of some of the work like Math if you prefer something else.

hth

Okay on the Classical Conversations website you will see Foundations on the left side. That gives basic info on Foundations. Once there on the right side you will see link to Resources. At that site (which is http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/fobo.html ) you will see all the stuff they sell. Check out the Complete Starter Package (lower center of your screen). It is the cheaper way to get all you need.

I have only done Cycle 1 and 2 so far. Each year Foundations does a different "cycle" which focuses on different memory work for all subjects except math and Timeline. So the subjects for all cycles are the same but what the kids memorize varies with each cycle for those subjects.

Next year they will be on Cycle 3 which focuses on American History for the history sentences, Human body for the science Q/A, and umm okay I don't remember the details of the other subjects that change each cycle (English Grammar, Latin, Bible, music history, art history).

If you are doing this at home you can choose which ever cycle you want, but ALL Foundations program across the country will be doing Cycle 3 next year. Works well for anyone moving about the country.

hth