Menu

Civil Air Patrol

Hi Carrie,

Both my oldest have gone through the cadet program and ds13 just went to his first meeting last week. Some folks object to it because there is a military feel to it (it is an auxiliary of the US Air Force), but I am very glad my boys were involved. They are both Senior Members now and will continue to be involved as they go through life.

There are three aspects to the cadet program: Moral Leadership, Aerospace Education and Emergency Services. My boys both enjoyed the Emergency Services track. They are certified by the Red Cross in all kinds of Emergency and Disaster Management such as setting up a shelter for a hurricane evacuation, nuclear power plant emergencies/shelter, search and rescue (which they are also certified by the state to help with) and love participating in SAR missions.

They joined in 2000 (12 & 13 years old at the time) and when 9/11 happened I was very glad that they were being trained to someday be able to help out if such a scenario should happen again. I remember feeling quite helpless at the time and am glad that CAP has equipped my boys to jump in and be of some use in that kind of situation.

CAP also offers lots of extra activities on a national level. My oldest participated in the International Air Cadet Exchange program and his brother has participated in the National Air Show in OshKosh, WI as a "Blue Beret," (he got to meet Harrison Ford there :)), and has attended Hawk Mountain Ranger school in PA, Pararescue Training in NM, and many other things.

If you want to get the most out of the program you have to be committed to being there every week and putting a lot of energy into it. I think it's worth it.

Brag Alert! Here's a link to an article about my oldest when he received his Spaatz Award (the highest cadet award in the program):

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/032008/03252008/364556

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the Civil Air Patrol? My DS(13) would like to join. We are going to a meeting tonight but I would like to know the ends and outs before we get there.

Carrie

I really wanted to do this with my 12 yo old but we don't seem to have time. Scouts. Music Lessons. Sports.

However, maybe I should look at the program again.

Please post an update on what you learned at the meeting and your take of the program.

My husband took part in Civil Air Patrol growing up. He got to experience so many amazing things...survival training, physical challenges, search and rescue, teamwork, and obviously loads of aviation...etc. He looks back on it as one of the best times in his life. He also feels that it made him a better man...He is a wonderful man by the way, although I may be a little bias. :)

Those with experience, how do you feel about girls in the program?

Both of my dds are interested but I'm not sure if they are really capable of the physical training.

Well, I've known several girls in the program and they have all excelled. I think they have separate physical training requirements if I'm not mistaken (different style push-ups, etc.). One of the young ladies I've known for several years has become a senior member, got her R.N. degree and is now our local squadron's official nurse.

There is quite a lot of emphasis on being physically fit - especially at the summer encampment - but I do believe they have separate requirements.

Well, I've known several girls in the program and they have all excelled. I think they have separate physical training requirements if I'm not mistaken (different style push-ups, etc.). One of the young ladies I've known for several years has become a senior member, got her R.N. degree and is now our local squadron's official nurse.

There is quite a lot of emphasis on being physically fit - especially at the summer encampment - but I do believe they have separate requirements.

That's encouraging . . . my older daughter is strong but not particularly coordinated. My younger daughter is exceptionally coordinated but not particularly strong.

Do you think 15 is "too old" to get started? I'd like to see a bit more maturity in my older dd; I'd want to be sure she is really taking it seriously and ready for the committment.

That's encouraging . . . my older daughter is strong but not particularly coordinated. My younger daughter is exceptionally coordinated but not particularly strong.

Do you think 15 is "too old" to get started? I'd like to see a bit more maturity in my older dd; I'd want to be sure she is really taking it seriously and ready for the committment.

Well, 15 is not too old but I think Civil Air Patrol may help her to mature. How old is she now? When my boys started they were insecure, gangly, and awkward. The drill and military decorum training they received helped them to take life more seriously and be less self-conscious and more outgoing. I'm glad they started when they did.

Also, keep in mind that there are a whole slew (sp?) of ranks to work through by taking physical training tests, leadership tests and aerospace education tests. The sooner she gets started the sooner she can start getting promoted. It's much easier to reach the top if you have plenty of time to accomplish that goal.

Of course, you know your daughter and what you think she can handle. I'm just suggesting that CAP may encourage her to mature. She can always try it out and see how it goes. If she decides it's too much she can try again at a later time.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

Well, 15 is not too old but I think Civil Air Patrol may help her to mature. How old is she now? When my boys started they were insecure, gangly, and awkward. The drill and military decorum training they received helped them to take life more seriously and be less self-conscious and more outgoing. I'm glad they started when they did.

Also, keep in mind that there are a whole slew of ranks to work through by taking physical training tests, leadership tests and aerospace education tests. The sooner she gets started the sooner she can start getting promoted. It's much easier to reach the top if you have plenty of time to accomplish that goal.

Of course, you know your daughter and what you think she can handle. I'm just suggesting that CAP may encourage her to mature. She can always try it out and see how it goes. If she decides it's too much she can try again at a later time.

Well, that's an excellent point. I think she would excel in the aerospace education.

Guest Virginia Dawn

My ds joined 2 years ago and it has been great for him. He especially enjoys the aerospace education. So far he's been up in a glider once and up in an airplane (handling the the controls) twice. He's helped to build and fly a large remote control airplane, plus he's been invlolved in many other numerous other safety, education, and leadership training experiences. He hasn't gone to encampment yet because of a medical problem, but he should be able to go next summer.

My oldest recently joined, in fact tonight was the welcoming ceremony! I can post a few pics (if the turned out) tmrw.

I have more to say, bit I have to do it tmrw. I have an early morning.

It's been good though, and a good fit for her. Not without some drama, but that is getting worked on.

I have a few minutes this morning - gee, everyone got up early on their own!

My DD was VERY interested in CAP from the first time she saw the information. I had sent for a packet to get more about what they did, i knew it was something i would have loved at her age - and wasn't surprised when she was showing the same interest.

We finally coordinated getting to a meeting a few months ago. I purposefully hadn't mentioned the PT side of the thing - because i wanted her to give it a fair shot before knowing they were going to make her run a mile.

She knew she had to run before joining, and her first official meeting was the PT one. This is the child that does anything to avoid running small laps in Gymnastics - she is her mothers child! LOL!!

So off she went running - WAYYYYYY too fast. I tried to tell her to slow down and pace herself. She died about 1/2 way in and walked the rest.

And then couldn't walk for 2 days.

I sat and waited to see how it would play out - if her love for what she was going to be able to do in CAP was going to outweigh her hatred of running. She went back the next week with a smile on her face still.... and has new running shoes and her Dad borrowed her a treadmill and she is going to do Couch to 5K.

Last week at PT she PASSED everything but sit-ups. She ran her mile a minute UNDER what she was supposed too even!!! (she was 2 or 3 over last month!)

It's been good for her, and the right fit for an activity. There are not a lot of girls in our Squadron which makes it kinda of hard. The girls there all go to school together - and just started High School (she's in 8th grade). We are working on some of the issues - and the leadership recognizes the issues going on and is also working at making changes.

I knew i'd love it though too, and have plans to join as a Senior member at some point. :D (they promised me i don't have to run a mile :lol: )

My ds used to be very interested, but dh wasn't so he never got to try it.

Now he is 16 and has had 4 yrs of PS h*ll. He has been dxed with ADHD and bipolar. He has a very poor attention span and mood swings.

It breaks my heart that he does not think he can do anything and can't think of anything he wants to do.

I am tempted to see if he can try CAP, but I don't see how he could succeed.

Any thoughts?