Menu

Another reason I'm glad I'm homeschooling!

DH just called me to let me know that our local district made the news. The middle school ds went to last year has 3 confirmed cases of Swine Flu, and the nurse suspects more. Apparently, the kids are showing up to school with no symptoms, and by 2nd or 3rd period, they have 102 fever. There is also a case at the Primary school. Who knows how many kids actually have it. The teachers are disinfecting between classes, but there is only so much they can do. Both myself and my dc have asthma, and dd is already battling viral bronchitis right now, we really don't need her to get the flu on top of all that. I'm so glad we are home right now!

Well, I'm very glad for you that you do not have the public school scenario to deal with since all of you already have lung issues. That's got to be a great relief. But I would caution you not to have a false sense of security where this flu is concerned. I'm not a medical professional but feel that whether I homeschool or not, my family is just as susceptible to this disease as the average person. Unless we all stay quarantined completely for the next six months, there are a million other places where these germs can find us.

My dh is a letter carrier - AACCKK! - talk about germ transfer. My two oldest are out in the workforce so could pick it up any place. And even though the rest of us are home a large percentage of the time, we do go to the library, Walmart, the grocery store, church, etc.

Certainly schools can be a dangerous place during outbreaks of disease, but homeschooling does not mean we are immune.

Stay safe!!

I know that we can pick it up anywhere. I'm still being cautious. Ds is playing football with a few kids from the middle school, so there is always that possibility. It just makes me feel a little better that he is not cooped up with kids all day at school. I know many of the teachers at the school, and I'm not real confident in the effort some of them will make to stop the spread.:glare: You are more likely to get it if you are in an inclosed area, for extended periods of time, with someone who has it. They said they will close the school if/when 10% of the school is out with the flu.

I know that we can pick it up anywhere. I'm still being cautious. Ds is playing football with a few kids from the middle school, so there is always that possibility. It just makes me feel a little better that he is not cooped up with kids all day at school. I know many of the teachers at the school, and I'm not real confident in the effort some of them will make to stop the spread.:glare: You are more likely to get it if you are in an inclosed area, for extended periods of time, with someone who has it. They said they will close the school if/when 10% of the school is out with the flu.

Football? Does he wear a mouth guard?

At our middle school's fall sports orientation, they talked about swine flu and encouraged the kids to a) not share water bottles and b) not share mouth guards.

Yes, apparently, since the state school sports association has decided you can't play most sports without a mouth guard, kids have been known to hand their mouth guard to the player replacing them on the field, if the replacement player has forgotten to bring their guard. :ack2::svengo:

The parents were disgusted, but my bright, honors student, generally responsible son just didn't get why we were all grossed out. Fortunately, he runs cross-country and so doesn't wear a mouth guard.

He doesn't play for the school. They have a league for the kids who aren't old enough to play for the school. Here, middle school starts in 5th grade, due to space issues. His mouth gaurd is attached to his helmet, which stays on the entire game. They don't share water bottles, so that isn't an issue either. I make sure I have plenty of water so no one has to share. We are being careful, but you can't lock them in the house. All of us would go crazy. I just felt better knowing they weren't at the school all day.

There was a kid at our local high school that KNEW she had swine flu, but wanted to go to school (?). The mom didn't realize the kid had gotten on the bus. She had to go pick her up after class had already started. I am thankful that my kids are not subjected to being in a classroom or on a school bus with someone breathing and coughing their germs all over them. We know that germs could be everywhere. We have been washing our hands more, using sanitizer more, that sort of thing.

He's had to send kids home already. He and I were talking a bit about it. We both agree that the high schools are going to be basically breeding grounds. The kids in the academically rigorous classes are going to go to school anyway because "I can't get behind". He was saying it will be the high schoolers who hide the advil from their folks and get to school.

Also what he's been told (can't remember by whom) that it's presenting with a low fever - 99-100. It starts with a sore throat and headache. Then everything else starts after that.

In my district, children who are highly at risk are on homebound instruction rather than at school.

>>Apparently, the kids are showing up to school with no symptoms, and by 2nd or 3rd period, they have 102 fever.

This is typical...pop a fever reducer and hit the bus. The other common trick is to wipe off the evidence of pinkeye and send the kid. Many parents always send their sick kids to school. They have no one available to watch the child, as they must work. And many are unwilling to take days off in this economic climate, as they don't want to be targeted for a layoff. My district now has a sick room for those children who have no one to care for them.

It's been very interesting to have my children in this school. The lack of habits and skills that enable one to reduce disease and illness is amazing. The district has a full time person who does hygiene training in order to combat the ignorance. By middle school age, the kids are getting in to shouting matches in the cafeteria with the ones that refuse to use basic hygeine such as sneeze into the arm rather than the other person's lunch...this after 5 years of training at school. What does it take to get through? I know it's cultural, not poverty as I know students and adults raised in poverty both here in the US and from other second and third world countries who are able to master the concept and use the basic sanitary practices.

Oh, high risk people would be on homebound instruction rather than at school.

Edited by lgm